Cobra 2 Compass Bearing Lock / Bookmark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srcalDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm learning how to use my Suunto Cobra 2 computer's compass feature. It has the ability to lock in the current bearing by briefly pressing the select key when in compass mode. Often, but not always, when I press the select key to lock in a bearing the unit will instead create a bookmark and not lock in the bearing. I've tried to ensure that the compass is being held level and still is creates a bookmark instead of locking the new bearing. Have you experienced this?

I have the same computer. It will create a bookmark instead of locking a heading if the computer is not held perfectly level. It is extremely picky. I have pretty much given up on the compass. It takes way too much effort to hold the computer the + or - 3 degrees to keep it level so you can select a heading. Plus the compass goes away after three minutes and you have to re-enter the compass mode.

I am very disappointed with the way the compass works.

I have the same computer and like its features but the compass is "picky". You'll have to keep playing with it in order to learn it's "sweet spot". I quit trying after a few dives and went back to my old school wrist compass.

the compass is a real PITA and useless. Who the h*** though to market such a useless feature (which is actually pretty important) which shuts down after 60 sec. The time it takes to take your bearing and program is enough to make you lost and frustrated.:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom