Cobalt VS Sunset House Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't Sunset House in the flightpath? When we were there one day a jet flew over really low on approach. Not sure if that's typical.

My personal suggestion is stay where you like and let the diveops pick you up for boat dives. For shore dives either place is good, Turtle Reef I think is better. There's not really enough marked/improved shore diving on GC to let that be the deciding factor. I think Sunset House suffers being so far south, they're less likely to go north to the Wall, although they do the two gardens and other sites to the south that you'll likely never do with CC.

There's any number of diveops that do the North Wall and since I've read that Divetech takes you by van to their boat, I don't see the advantage of staying at Cobalt Coast.

Since somebody else has the Turtle Reef location now, I don't see any advantage to staying at CC unless you're doing the full AI. You could dive there once or twice by driving up there and will certainly need a car to go anywhere on SMB from there.

my .02

There's any number of diveops that do the North Wall and since I've read that Divetech takes you by van to their boat, I don't see the advantage of staying at Cobalt Coast.
It's still more convienient, since you'd have a dive locker and rinse tank etc right where you're staying and can just jump on the van with your stuff right next to them.
Since somebody else has the Turtle Reef location now, I don't see any advantage to staying at CC unless you're doing the full AI. You could dive there once or twice by driving up there and will certainly need a car to go anywhere on SMB from there.
But they opened a new shore diving location. Gotta wait for reviews, but it's a half mile down the road along the same strech of coast and I'm guessing it will be similar or better quality.

It's still more convienient, since you'd have a dive locker and rinse tank etc right where you're staying and can just jump on the van with your stuff right next to them.
I guess that would make a difference. We stay in condos though and dry our gear on the patio typically. Certainly sounds easier than hauling all your gear up the hill at Sunset House...:D

I didn't think there was any hill at Sunset House?

Down from the main house to the salt water pool? I thought there was. Maybe hill is an overstatement but it seemed like it carrying a tank back up.

I've was at Sunset House this summer and thought the dive op and boats were great. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The local reef was convenient and if there was a hill my wife and I don't remember it. My Bar was great--and the bar food is good. I thought the restaurant was so-so. The rooms are okay, but certainly could use updating.

We liked being close to town and would walk in and then after dinner take a taxi back. We liked being able to get to town quickly--and not having to worry about who would be the designated driver.

Steve

The "hill" at Sunset House is about a 10 ft. elevation gain. My condo, which is just down the road and on "high ground" is about 17 ft. above mean sea level. The hurricane shelter down the road from me, which needs to withstand the storm surge from category 5 hurricanes, is about 24 ft. above msl. This is not an island where trudging uphill is a big problem.

But they opened a new shore diving location. Gotta wait for reviews, but it's a half mile down the road along the same strech of coast and I'm guessing it will be similar or better quality.

I just looked at this on their website. First I had heard of it.

I am a bit concerned as I have/had some deep shore dives planned for November from the Turtle Farm location.

Where exactly is the new Dive Tech shop?

Who has the shop at the Turtle farm?

Back
Top Bottom