Cobalt Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrClod

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm leading a trip to Cobalt Coast 16-23 August. I've not yet been to Grand Caymans.

Anyone have any news on

- Cobalt Coast ?
- Diving off of Cobalt Coast ?
- Dive Tech ?
- any extras to do ?

Trip is also still open to anyone that wants to join in on the fun.

Jon

I'm leading a trip to Cobalt Coast 16-23 August. I've not yet been to Grand Caymans.

FYI it's Grand Cayman (not Caymans), one of the three Cayman Islands.

Cobalt Coast ?

Excellent place. Stayed there twice, one week last year, two weeks this year. Rooms are comfortable and clean, food is excellent, staff friendly. Arie, the owner, is awesome.

Diving off of Cobalt Coast ?

My wife & I lived on Grand Cayman for years, and have logged literally thousands of dives around the island. When we go back now as dive travelers, we look forward to the shore dive from Cobalt Coast every afternoon almost as much as the morning boat dives. It's among the best shore dives I've done in Cayman (depending on what you're looking for). The mini wall starts at around 25' feet or so, and goes down to about 50' to 55'. You can do the main wall as well, which starts at around 65' and drops forever. During our trip last month, we saw turtles, eagle rays, nurse sharks, and plenty of the usual customers. On a couple of days, during our 4pm(ish) dive we hung a right and found a large green moray out swimming around.

Dive Tech

Very professional, and a lot of fun. It's a tight crew that obviously works well together. Top notch.

any extras to do ?

Ummm... I better let someone else field this one. Last trip, we only left the resort twice (other than the morning two-tank boat dives, of course)... once, when they gave us a lift over to their other shorediving facility at Lighthouse Point (also an excellent shore dive). The second time was when we had to go to the airport to come home. We just dove, then dove a bit, and then dove some more. For extras, we dove. :)

Trip is also still open to anyone that wants to join in on the fun.

God, I wish. Have a great time.

I agree with everything above. Cobalt Coast and Dive Tech are my favorites on Grand Cayman. As mentioned, Arie (owner of Cobalt Coast) is outstanding and very involved in the day to day operations. The lodging is great and the food can't be beat. Dive Tech can run any trips you want from basic recreational dives to technical diving to rebreathers. They are a very professional and very close knit group. Jay and Nancy Easterbrook are phenomenal as are all of their staff.

I, too, love the shore dive at Cobalt Coast. It is about a 10 minute swim to the mini wall (about 60 fsw) and then about another 15 minutes across the sand flats out to the main wall (several thousand fsw). There is lots of life and beautiful corals and sponges.

Have a great trip!

mrclod,
i'm taking my family to gc 8/2/08.
will be diving with dive tech, again.
staying on 7 mile beach to keep herself happy.
sorry to miss y'all.
regards,

mrclod,
i'm taking my family to gc 8/2/08.
will be diving with dive tech, again.
staying on 7 mile beach to keep herself happy.
sorry to miss y'all.
regards,
Glad I finally was able to track you down.

We'll see if you guys want to join us next year. I do try to find places that offer a little something to the non-divers, but this year we only have 1 non-diver in the group.

I'll send you my pictures upon return.

Jon,

I believe you will love GCM, Cobalt Coast, DiveTech and the shore dives there.

Also try the shore dive at the Cracked Conch. That is where DT used to do their shore dives before they bought another spot just down the coast. Sundivers runs it now, and Ollen Miller has done a great job there with all new equipment and great prices.

As for other stuff to do on GCM...

Many folks love the turtle farm. I don't, but that's just me. I've never been a big fan of captive critters, although I respect the value of the farm to the long-term health of the turtle population. I hate seeing :dork2:s holding the scared turtles out of the water for the sake of a picture. Makes me want to hold the people under water for a bit!

There are quite a few cultural activities on the island, too many to write about. Have you been to the Cayman Activity Guide website? (caymanactivityguide.com) There are links to all sorts of activity discount coupons and such, as well as forums about things to do, trip reports and the like. Heck, you might even find me there, too! Some people find their Terms of Service a bit draconian, but the moderators do a really good job of keeping the forums clean and helpful. You can post a question and will get helpful ideas from true Cayman Fanatics.

Have a great time there,and don't forget to do a trip report here and, hopefully, on the CAG forums.

Dive Sergeant

Hello: Divetech did my initial OW Cert. Good group, and sites noted above are good. If want small dive operators for boat dives, I have used and liked Neptune and Off the Wall Divers(Danny).

Heading to Grand Cayman, 7 Mile, for week of August 3 to 10. Enjoy John

thx1138,
looks like we will be there the same week.
we are staying at beach colony resort and diving with dive tech.
maybe we will bump into each other.

Cool. We do need to hook up. I think Dive Tech only has 2 sites and they are relatively close from what I can gather, so appears to be a good chance both in and out of the water.

Ooops, you are going the same week as thx1138. I guess I am always hitting the submit button before checking the facts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom