Cobalt Coast or Compass Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOTU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are looking at heading to Cayman in late January. Two places we are considering are, Cobalt Coast on the Northwest shore and Compass Point on the East end.

Any thoughts as to conditions at that time of year in the two locations? As well as personal experiences with either one would be appreciated.

As I recall, they both will head South that time of year as often as not. Never stayed at either one, but I've had good experiences with Ocean Frontiers, the Dive Op at Compass Point. Cobalt Coast is a little closer to town. Either way, you'll have fun.

As I recall, they both will head South that time of year as often as not. Never stayed at either one, but I've had good experiences with Ocean Frontiers, the Dive Op at Compass Point. Cobalt Coast is a little closer to town. Either way, you'll have fun.

I also stayed at Compass Point and had a great time. When conditions are not good towards the northeast, they head south to more protected sites, which are also very good. I have heard pretty good things about Cobalt Coast, but have not been there.

I just posted a report on my trip to Compass Point if you are interested http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/348785-east-end-grand-cayman-trip-report.html

I've stayed at Cobalt Coast twice. Both times in August. Ari runs a great hotel and the food is fantastic. Dive Tech are all experienced and lots of fun to dive with. Plenty of shore diving although it's a long swin to the wall. Most of our shore dives were to the mini wall to conserve air. The resort is a fair distance from town but you can grab a bus not far from the hotel. I think you'll enjoy your stay regardless of where you choose to stay.

IMHO, you need a rental car if you are staying at Compass Point. There is a small restaurant across the road but hardly worthy of thrice daily meals.

Cobalt Coast could be done without a rental car, though having a car would be very nice. The on site restaurant is generally rated well, though you probably want to try some other dining options.

Winds in January are more typically ENE and may disrupt shore diving at Cobalt Coast. Shore diving is not an option at Compass Point.

I'm hoping WE made the right choice (Cobalt Coast) after agonizing between these two resorts for a first trip to GC! Going in mid-November, renting a car, buying a heavily-discounted meal plan at the resort to minimize hassles, although we love to drive around and try other things. Choice was somewhat subjective - they both look very nice - and based final decision mainly on accommodation type/price/looks/location. It's all good!?!?

late reply - Cobalt Coast is awsome! Ari is the best, he will take care of you and get you what you need - after ac ouple days we wanted a car, we got off the baot for lunch and it was there.

Dive Tech is one of our favorite dive ops! Top Notch. Great shop dog too (Mojo).

You should have a great stay!

You will love Cobalt Coast. We have stayed there twice, July and March. They also have a shuttle to the other DiveTech location for beach diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom