Cobalt Coast Jun 26-Jul 3 trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OH2OD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our local dive group's annual summer trip for 2010, was to Cobalt Coast Dive Resort on Grand Cayman. My wife and I were part of a group of eleven divers and non divers that began this adventure on June 26, and returned on July 3. We flew U.S. Airways out of Nashville, via Charlotte, and arrived on Grand Cayman, ready for a week of diving and relaxation.

Cobalt Coast Resort is depicted on their web site. A beautiful resort with great ocean views and wonderful people. Arie proved to be an outstanding host and could be seen early and late overseeing the operation of the resort. Each evening, he would share stories of his resort experience and the current World Cup events. The staff was always pleasant and helpful as they went about their duties.

Our group dove with Divetech, the site dive operator. We had the six day, two tank dive package that includes shore diving from the dock and at their Lighthouse Point location. Our boat dives were the typical deeper wall dive first, followed by a shallower reef dive. After three days, our group requested doing more of the shallow reef dives, and they accommodated us easily. All of the crews were professional and safety was a top priority. The dive briefings were thorough, and included detailed drawings of each site.

Some of our favorite sites and special sightings:
Mary's Garden: beautiful coral formations and nice variety marine life
Bear's Paw: (dove this site twice) moray eel, found 4 lobster in one coral formation, juvenille spotted drums, Divemaster captured 3 lionfish on one dive.
Lemon Reef: Large stingray and 2 smaller stingrays together, Large Green Moray eel
Ocean Point: lobster, trunk fish, and chain moray eel
Lighthouse Point: shore dive, juvenile trunk fish, turtle, lobster, eel, reef squid
Cobalt Coast Resort dock: (we dove this site 7 times, 2 night dives), flamingo tongue, turtles, (found one sleeping on night dive) huge lobstger, Queen trigger fish, octopus, stingrays, reef squid, crab, barracuda
Sandhole Reef: nurse shark
Tarpon Alley: 2 large tarpon, large turtle

Water temperature was 84 to 86 degrees all week. Some in our group wore skins, while others were more comfortable in 3 mm full wetsuits.

Several members of our group took a bus tour around the island one afternoon. They visited Georgetown, Pedro St. James Historic Site, and other areas of Grand Cayman.

We had breakfast included in our resort package. Each morning there was fruit, cereal, bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, and French Toast served at 6:45 a.m. We ate lunches in our room shopping at Foster's for our groceries and ate Subway for two meals. Each evening, the group dined at Cobalt Coast and the meals were wonderful. They had a special each night and a full menu with good variety of choices. They even accommodated those doing night dives, just asking them to place an order earlier.

Our return flights were uneventful, except for a slight delay in leaving Charlotte. Another great trip with friends, making new friends and seeing new places.

Awesome. Thanks for the review. My wife and I are leaving for Grand Cayman on August 1st, staying at Cobalt Coast and Diving with Divetech. It's nice to hear good things about where we're headed.

Glad to hear it went well, RJ! Hope to see you there next year. :D

Hi all and Ericthediver, My GF and I will be there July 29th-August 4th staying at Cobalt and diving with Divetech also. I am a little sad to hear that the U.S.S. Kittiwake will not be sunk during our stay. I am really glad to hear you had such a great time at the hotel and thank you for the review. A website can say so much, but someone who was just there can say so much more.

To OH2O how was the shore diving off of the Coabalt Coast using the Dock? We would like to do some night diving while we are there so we hope to meet up with other divers who are interested in doing the same.

Mike

The shore diving was very good off dock. It is shallow close to the dock, so we would surface swim out to first buoy. It is about 8 feet deep in this area. We found several interesting critters from this area out to mini wall drop off. The dive shop gave us a good briefing about reef and there is a map on outside wall of the shop. Be sure and go to Lighthouse point to shore dive as well. The dive shop carried our group over and back from Cobalt Coast.

ianr33,
We did see several lionfish at various sites and depths during the week.
The divemasters captured a few one morning, and stated they would occasionally
organize groups of divemasters and sweep a reef looking for them.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about spending 10 days to 2 weeks there over the Christmas holiday. Is the meal plan worth it? The charge is $60 for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'm not going to bother with renting a car since we are only interested in diving. Are there places to eat close by that would make for a cheaper option-not including Subway, I hate that place :)

Thanks

I'm thinking about spending 10 days to 2 weeks there over the Christmas holiday. Is the meal plan worth it? The charge is $60 for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'm not going to bother with renting a car since we are only interested in diving. Are there places to eat close by that would make for a cheaper option-not including Subway, I hate that place :)

Thanks

Without a car, there aren't many places nearby to eat if you are staying at Cobalt, most are a short drive away. Personally we thought the food was pretty good there. I think their pancakes/breakfast was the best I've ever had on a trip. Dinner was also very good. Unless you plan on going to the grocery store, the meal plan probably isn't too bad of a choice. I think you would likely spend a lot more going out to restaurants.

I highly recommend renting a car for ay least part of your stay. (i've seen people do just that, stay there thinking they didn't want to get a car, then part way through the week decide it was a good idea after all.) Even though the food is good there I would get tired of eating there all the time and there are so many good places that aren't real far but you definitely wouldn't walk. Also for more shore diving (especially if Cobalt Coast gets blown out) - even if they'll take you to Lighthouse point, it is a whole lot more convenient to have a car. Plus it's so nice to be able to easily go other places whenever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom