Cobalt 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess I'd better jump in here as this revision is getting close to shipping and questions are being asked.

The Cobalt 2 doesn't look any different cosmetically, but it's a complete redesign internally. This redesign is something we wanted (needed) to do before coming out with any type of wrist configuration. I plan to come up with a comprehensive list of changes, but don't have time for that now, so just a few high points.

Compass:
The compass on the original Cobalt was a early generation chip that was not terribly accurate, but the best available at the time. The speed of its updating was in fact a limitation of the processor speed, or processor loading. This new processor allows us to update the compass display in essentially real time video- it's quite a remarkable difference. The compass/ accelerometer gives an accuracy of 1-2°, and offers calibration by essentially just waving it around. It's also not subject to getting knocked out of calibration the way the old compass chip was. So a big improvement in the compass. It's very obvious when you see it.

Processor:
Speed in the processor is not a big deal in ordinary recreational diving, though it does feel snappier using menus. But when it comes to complex iterative deco calculations, the difference is huge. Calculations that took 8-10 seconds on the Cobalt 1 are done in a fraction of a second. That opens up other possibilities for future development. Which brings up the biggest reason for a redesign- we want to be building on a platform that is stable for the long term and can accommodate many new features in the future. This new hardware platform needed to be in place, for instance, before we could put it into a wrist mount.

Display:
The Cobalt 2 display is a new TFT display, not an AMOLED. Pretty much everyone thinks it looks better, and it uses about the same power. It does allow us to have an auto-backlight option.

Interface:
It will be instantly recognizable as a Cobalt interface- there are some changes. We allow six gas mixtures, rather than three. There are some differences in how the dive log data is displayed, and more info shown. Some colors are changed. And, Dr. Lecter, we do plan to implement an "expert" mode that allows you to control all alarm functions and other such things, certainly before a wrist configuration is released.

Firmware Update:
Big changes here. One of the biggest problems we had was people needing to run an application to update firmware, and experiencing system problems. The Cobalt 2 has a built in hardware reset, and if you do this while it is connected to a PC- of any type, Mac, Windows, Linux- it will show up as a mass storage device, just like a thumb drive. No drivers or software required. Just drag the new firmware file into the Cobalt's icon, and the Cobalt will take care of updating itself. This is something else the new processor makes possible.

I think Atomic realizes this will not be perceived as a completely earth shattering new product, compared to the Cobalt 1. It's a huge deal for us, the designers, because we know what goes into it. It's definitely deserving to be called something new- and it's really the second generation of the Cobalt. Hence Cobalt 2.

Ron

Having owned a couple of Cobalts myself, I think the closest thing to a wrist-mounted Cobalt is the SW Petrel. If you have to have AI for some reason, maybe a Mares Icon HD would be somewhat Cobalt-like.

I actually had the Mares Icon HD, then did their upgrade process to a Mares Icon HD net ready (basically ai)....and I'll just say that I wouldn't use one of them again I wasn't impressed at all. I actually picked up a Oceanic OCi today, I don't have any plans on parting with my Cobalt though.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 10:16 PM ----------

Guess I'd better jump in here as this revision is getting close to shipping and questions are being asked.

The Cobalt 2 doesn't look any different cosmetically, but it's a complete redesign internally. This redesign is something we wanted (needed) to do before coming out with any type of wrist configuration. I plan to come up with a comprehensive list of changes, but don't have time for that now, so just a few high points.

Compass:
The compass on the original Cobalt was a early generation chip that was not terribly accurate, but the best available at the time. The speed of its updating was in fact a limitation of the processor speed, or processor loading. This new processor allows us to update the compass display in essentially real time video- it's quite a remarkable difference. The compass/ accelerometer gives an accuracy of 1-2°, and offers calibration by essentially just waving it around. It's also not subject to getting knocked out of calibration the way the old compass chip was. So a big improvement in the compass. It's very obvious when you see it.

Processor:
Speed in the processor is not a big deal in ordinary recreational diving, though it does feel snappier using menus. But when it comes to complex iterative deco calculations, the difference is huge. Calculations that took 8-10 seconds on the Cobalt 1 are done in a fraction of a second. That opens up other possibilities for future development. Which brings up the biggest reason for a redesign- we want to be building on a platform that is stable for the long term and can accommodate many new features in the future. This new hardware platform needed to be in place, for instance, before we could put it into a wrist mount.

Display:
The Cobalt 2 display is a new TFT display, not an AMOLED. Pretty much everyone thinks it looks better, and it uses about the same power. It does allow us to have an auto-backlight option.

Interface:
It will be instantly recognizable as a Cobalt interface- there are some changes. We allow six gas mixtures, rather than three. There are some differences in how the dive log data is displayed, and more info shown. Some colors are changed. And, Dr. Lecter, we do plan to implement an "expert" mode that allows you to control all alarm functions and other such things, certainly before a wrist configuration is released.

Firmware Update:
Big changes here. One of the biggest problems we had was people needing to run an application to update firmware, and experiencing system problems. The Cobalt 2 has a built in hardware reset, and if you do this while it is connected to a PC- of any type, Mac, Windows, Linux- it will show up as a mass storage device, just like a thumb drive. No drivers or software required. Just drag the new firmware file into the Cobalt's icon, and the Cobalt will take care of updating itself. This is something else the new processor makes possible.

I think Atomic realizes this will not be perceived as a completely earth shattering new product, compared to the Cobalt 1. It's a huge deal for us, the designers, because we know what goes into it. It's definitely deserving to be called something new- and it's really the second generation of the Cobalt. Hence Cobalt 2.

Ron

That actually makes sense for it to be called a cobalt 2 based on everything you said and sounds really good. It's hard to say if it's enough for someone like my wife who dives three weeks out of the year to lay down the cash to buy a cobalt 2 though.

Sounds like I will be waiting to see one of these dive computers. New into diving waiting to buy my own gear and was looking between a cobalt and pro plus 3. Biggest turn off for me was reading everything people were having problems with the cobalt1. If you pay that much for something you should not have any issues with it. I would hate to be on vacation and my dive computer go into brick mode or not fully charge. Looking forward to seeing the new Cobalt2.

Ron, is there any path to upgrade a Cobalt to Cobalt2? I bought 3 last year; one for me and one for my 2 kids who dive, and have never been able to use the compass, nor have my kids. Most upsetting if now it is fixed after I sunk so much money into these.

Ron, is there any path to upgrade a Cobalt to Cobalt2? I bought 3 last year; one for me and one for my 2 kids who dive, and have never been able to use the compass, nor have my kids. Most upsetting if now it is fixed after I sunk so much money into these.

There is not, so far as I know, a direct upgrade policy, however if you have a problem compass that doesn't work, that should qualify as a service/ warranty question. Usually it's a calibration issue if it's not reading correctly. The old compasses worked, but were harder to calibrate and less responsive/ accurate than the new chips. Electronics keep improving, but the old compasses should be useable- what are your symptoms? I would check with Atomic directly if you have problems with your compass we can't resolve with calibration.

Ron

Ron,

All 3 computers have the latest software/firmware. I have calibrated them using the cardboard support on a wooden surface at the dive site and they all stay on one compass point, even when turning the 360 degrees. Mine stays around 230 degrees no matter what direction I point. My kids units may move 90 degrees or so but never rotate a full circle. I have had to buy wrist compasses due to their issues.

A local tech recommended I try to re-install the firmware.

What do you suggest?

Ron,

All 3 computers have the latest software/firmware. I have calibrated them using the cardboard support on a wooden surface at the dive site and they all stay on one compass point, even when turning the 360 degrees. Mine stays around 230 degrees no matter what direction I point. My kids units may move 90 degrees or so but never rotate a full circle. I have had to buy wrist compasses due to their issues.

A local tech recommended I try to re-install the firmware.

What do you suggest?

Re-installing the firmware won't help. It sounds to me as if the underlying calibration has been knocked out- that's what we refer to as the six-point calibration. This sets the gain and offset for the individual chips, and is set at the factory. In most instances it only needs to be set once- that's the chip manufacturer's claim. However what we have seen is that sometimes environmental factors, like exposure to strong magnetic fields, can alter the chip so these constants are no longer correct. One user finally figured out his compass was being knocked out by a big speaker magnet in his car trunk… And sometimes we see them knocked out by shipping or something that happens in travel. Fortunately, it usually an easy fix.

I will send you via a PM instructions for resetting these constants- it's fairly easy to do, but more involved than the normal calibration- which will still need to be done, they address different things. But if you don't want to mess with it Atomic will take care of it as a Warranty issue- I really recommend doing it yourself, though. Then you know how if it ever were to come up again.

Ron

any idea on when the cobalt 2 will start shipping. I'm looking at getting a console dive computer and hoping to pick one of these up.

From what I hear it will likely be in the next week or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom