Cobalt 2 Won’t Charge - Left it too long

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’ve read you can remove the battery and sometimes it resets. When I plug in to charge nothing happens right now.

Does anyone know how to do the battery removal/reset?

I am using the AC adapter.

If a Lithium battery is discharged too much the charging circuit will not recharge it as it senses that the battery voltage is too low - under voltage lock out. The best thing to do is replace the battery. The next option is to remove the battery and recharge externally using a DC power supply. Measure the voltage of the battery first and then set the DC supply just above that whilst current limiting the DC supply to about 100mA. As the battery recovers keep increasing the voltage on the DC supply. Once the battery voltage has sufficiently recovered then put the battery back in the computer and the internal recharging circuit will work as normal. However it is best to replace the battery as deeply discharged Lithium batteries can be damaged and become unstable. If you are not technically minded just replace the battery. Hope this helps.

Try leaving it plugged in for a while.

If it is really low, it might need to charge a little before it will respond.

You can do it, but it is not recommended. Did you try a reset??? You have 4 buttons on the Cobalt II. Hold the 3:00 o'clock and 9:00 o'clock buttons down at the same time for like 15 seconds and see if the computer comes back up. Once it comes back up you can try a recharge. Usually this does it, but it may not depending on how long it sat between charges.
The computer is always on, even when it is in sleep mode. There is no "off" in a sense that the battery is not discharging. Obviously, when the screen is lit and you are diving it uses more power, but it is still using some when not being used. It will consume more power in use if the screen is turned up in brightness and also if you have it set to record data at shorter intervals.
Because the computer is always on, you should be making point to charge it at least once a month. I have two Cobalt II's and the one my son uses has never had an issue. I just got mine back from Atomic last week. It would lose charge faster than it should. It also would never read "100%" fully charged. I could leave it on the charger and it would never get above 98-99%. Then, in one or two days it would be down to like 85%. It should only loose like 1% per day, if that.
I am telling you all this because I don't know how long you left yours sit. The good one I have has gone for 2, almost 3 months and never went into "dead" mode and needed to be reset, as it should. It got low, but it came right up when charged. I believe the one I use had a bad battery from day one. I tried to keep up with the once a month charging, but after about a year it started to show the battery issue. Finally about 2 months ago it went into dead mode within one month. I sent it back to Atomic and they fixed it perfect and at no charge, but it took 6 weeks. Here it is knocking on April's door and if you have any spring dives planned you might want to get yours addressed.

Edit: one other thing to definitely take a look at...the old style charger had an AC adapter that went from 110v to USB the USB cable had a smaller plug that went into the final adapter to the computer. I had trouble with the adapter that plugs into the computer itself. It was broken inside and charged about half the time. I sent that back with it and received a newer style charger. The adapter is the same, but the AC part has a hard wired cable that has the tube style end which plugs into the opposite side of the computer adapter. Not that it matters where or how a cable plugs in, but the charger has been changed to a different configuration. If you have to send your computer back I suggest sending the charger you have with it. Also, they told me the reason it's not recommended to replace the battery yourself is because the computer should be tested for leaks after the battery gets changed. It is tested for leaks at the factory at maximum depth pressure. other then a dive and having it ruined if it does leak I don't know how you would do that.

I’ve read you can remove the battery and sometimes it resets. When I plug in to charge nothing happens right now.

Does anyone know how to do the battery removal/reset?

I am using the AC adapter.

The first thing to try is a manual reset, not removing the battery. Sometimes when charging from a very dead battery the system doesn't get the reset pulse needed to restart the program. Hold the Back and Select buttons down for at least 11 seconds. That forces a reset. To manually reset on the Cobalt 1 it was necessary to remove the battery, that should not be necessary on the Cobalt 2.

If the cable and charger/ charging adapter are working the Cobalt will be charging the battery even if you can't wake it with just the select button. While Manjula above is correct about the nature of Li-Ion batteries, the Cobalt has a built in charger / power management system that will deliver the appropriate charging current to the battery based in its state of charge. If you can't start it up with the manual reset- which is unlikely- there is almost certainly a problem with the battery itself or some other aspect of the power system. The next thing to check would be The battery and connections. The instructions for opening the battery compartment are here: Dropbox - BatteryReplace.pdf

The battery is in a compartment sealed from the rest of the electronics, so you don't put the computer at risk. It's about the level of complexity of opening a camera or light- you need to take care of the O-ring.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. We are the designers/ developers of the Cobalt's electronics and firmware.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom