Cobalt 2 - Water Intrusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

billav8r1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Cobalt 2 dive computer (serial number starts 01-14). Just had it in my pool testing my gear. Worked fine in the water. I get ready to take the computer off and notice water inside the screen. Not sure how this even happened or what I can do about it. I’ve taken the back off, but it’s just the battery compartment. Not sure how to access the inside to even drain the water off. Any help/insight is appreciated!
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_5442.jpeg
    IMG_5442.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5443.jpeg
    IMG_5443.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 29
We are the original designers/ developers of the Cobalt's electronics and firmware. We licensed the design to Atomic- they built the case. Since Huish Outdoors purchased Atomic some years ago they discontinued support for the Cobalt. We try to provide support for Cobalt users as we are able, and have a manufacture page here on ScubaBoard:

Water getting inside is not good news, though fresh water is better than salt. Disconnecting the battery is the first thing I would do- you don't want internal components shorting. Removing the cover might give you a clue as to the source of the leak- top suspect is the O-ring that retains the lens. It's possible for that to pop off if the Cobalt gets too much internal pressure (heat, altitude) in the body compared to ambient. Instructions here: Dropbox

You can remove the lens to try to dry things out. Fresh water inside is not always catastrophic- the boards are washed with water during manufacture- but being wet combined with power and time can fry components. We can help with service and diagnosis- I'll message you here with contact information.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom