Cobalt 1 help: What to do if your battery is dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I see- that is in fact one of the part #'s that we have received. The giveaway was when I realized that the picture you attached is one I took... :wink:

-Ron

So is this a viable battery or not? If so where can we get hold of one and what price are they? Ron, in another thread you spoke of an upgrade, do you have details of that before i throw this unit out?

I'm not sure what battery Greg is locating. It could be viable if there is a thermistor present, though the connector might need to be soldered on. I've replied in more detail in our conversation re. getting one of the actual batteries.

Ron

Thanks for all the help, I purchased a battery from china and switched the old thermistor onto the new battery. Bingo - charged and now doesn't discharge when charging cable removed. i do have one final question before I go diving. The small "bead " on the back was not removed during the process. do i need to do anything to ensure water seal integrity?

Thanks for all the help, I purchased a battery from china and switched the old thermistor onto the new battery. Bingo - charged and now doesn't discharge when charging cable removed. i do have one final question before I go diving. The small "bead " on the back was not removed during the process. do i need to do anything to ensure water seal integrity?

If you didn't take it off it's not necessarily a problem. Our instructions do say to remove the little ball. It's a vent to allow for a safe release in case the battery starts to off-gas, which as far as I know has never happened.

The reason for removing it is to release pressure when you close the battery door. There is a risk of displacing the O-ring from its intended seating surface if you try closing the battery compartment against too much pressure. The battery door O-ring should be well lubricated.

Removing the ball will prevent any risk of displacement, then you glue the ball back in place with silicone. You can probably tell by feel if you are getting a gas-tight seal when you close the battery door.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Does it look as if the battery compartment may have leaked a bit and caused corrosion? If so one of the battery leads my have broken. The electronics are sealed from the battery compartment, so even if there was a leak there the rest should be fine.

The batteries are a custom part with an integral thermistor. I'll contact you with re. sourcing, but basically it is through Atomic in Europe if you are in the UK.

Ron
Hi Ron. Any suggestions of how to go about buying a new battery for a Cobalt 1?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

- Ed.

Hi Ron. Any suggestions of how to go about buying a new battery for a Cobalt 1?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

- Ed.
Have you determined that your battery is dead or not taking a charge? There are a number of things that can mimic that condition. Batteries typically fail gradually, by holding less charge over time.

Atomic does have and sell the batteries- it ate past they would sell them through their dealers. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ron

Have you determined that your battery is dead or not taking a charge? There are a number of things that can mimic that condition. Batteries typically fail gradually, by holding less charge over time.

Atomic does have and sell the batteries- it ate past they would sell them through their dealers. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ron
Hi Ron.

Thanks for the quick response. I've gone through the threads here and did several of your recommendations including the battery pull, re-installing firmware, etc. I'm going to try a complete re-bleed of the battery, and then another firmware re-install, and see how that goes. I don't mind sending my unit in to Atomic, if that's what it takes, as I have no immediate dive trips planned (sadly). I heard you mention rumors about a new wrist unit and trade-in possibility, so I might consider a new unit (mine is almost 7 years old now), so we'll see.

Thanks again for your great support.

- Ed.

RonR et al: I have a 2010 vintage Cobalt 1 that hasn't been used in a year or so. Shortly before that the battery was replaced by "Atomic". I recently tried to charge it with no visible result. I opened the case as described in #3 above but mine doesn't seem to have a connector from the battery: looks like wires from the battery go to the bottom on the small PCB there. It has short lugs on top of the PCB. Is there any way to disconnect this battery?
SS

Would you happen to remember what the cost of the replacement battery & service are?

Thanks,

Hi fellow divers, my main DC is a Shearwater Perdix AI which I really love. Recently I purchased a used Cobalt 1 as a redundancy DC because the display is also self-illuminated. The Cobalt has 350 logged dives from the previous owner and was manufactured in 2011 and probably sat on his shelf for quite some time without usage/charging. Battery charges up to 89% and then stops, telling me that charging is done. I haven't taken it out on a dive yet but a 10 year old battery worries me a bit so I ended up in this thread reading about the battery issues the other Cobalts users have. Has anyone found a replacement battery which can be used? I can solder things around if needed but some advice on which battery to buy is much appreciated. Sending the Cobalt to the US support is not an option since I live in Europe...

Back
Top Bottom