Cobalt 1 help: What to do if your battery is dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi fellow divers, my main DC is a Shearwater Perdix AI which I really love. Recently I purchased a used Cobalt 1 as a redundancy DC because the display is also self-illuminated. The Cobalt has 350 logged dives from the previous owner and was manufactured in 2011 and probably sat on his shelf for quite some time without usage/charging. Battery charges up to 89% and then stops, telling me that charging is done. I haven't taken it out on a dive yet but a 10 year old battery worries me a bit so I ended up in this thread reading about the battery issues the other Cobalts users have. Has anyone found a replacement battery which can be used? I can solder things around if needed but some advice on which battery to buy is much appreciated. Sending the Cobalt to the US support is not an option since I live in Europe...
Posts in this thread starting about #25 talk about sourcing the battery outside the US, perhaps they will help. I believe the basic battery size is fairly common, but we added a thermistor to the battery PCB to detect any over temperature. That third wire needs to be there for the Cobalt to see that there is a battery installed. Probably the PCB could be soldered onto a new cell.
It's reasonable to be concerned with a 10 year old battery. But if this sat unused and discharged for a long while, I wouldn't be too surprised that it only shows a partial charge for a couple of cycles. Many of these batteries from that vintage are still performing well. In the Cobalt 1 you could get 50+ hours of diving (depending on screen brightness) out of a full charge, so even if it has age diminished capacity you might find you are OK.

-Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Top Bottom