Unknown Coasties searching Lake Erie for missing diver - Cleveland

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Another sources said "Crews are reportedly looking about six miles off the coast of Cleveland"

The U.S. Coast Guard was called out Saturday afternoon to help find an untethered diver who went missing in Lake Erie just east of Cleveland.

According to authorities, the diver was exploring a shipwreck at the bottom of the lake for more than two hours when help was called in.

Coast Guard vessel Marine 21 responded to the area to look for the man.

No further information has been provided.

I don’t know of any charter boats that go out of Cleveland. Will have to look it up. But there are plenty of people with their own boats.

Near 0 vis.

Great Lakes are always underestimated. Scariest waters in the world.
Depends on location and depth.
3 years ago, we had 75 feet of vis at 120 feet on the Crystal and Tradewind in Erie.
When I was doing my Helitrox cert in 2007 there was a day that the vis at 115 ft on the Betty Hedger was like diving the Florida Springs. Gin clear.
Shallow in Erie? Yeah, vis is not great. The eastern end of the Lake tends to be deeper and has better vis once you get below 70ft or so.
I've got maybe 100 dives in Erie and never thought of them as scary.

Near 0 vis.

Great Lakes are always underestimated. Scariest waters in the world.
There’s nothing in there that can eat you. I’ve done a decent amount of Great Lakes wreck diving. Yes, 3ft chop is no fun (about the limit for dive boats, FYI for people who don’t dive the Lakes), but the wrecks are incredible. I don’t know if I’d call the Lakes the scariest water lin the world, but they do command respect. The chop is what sent a lot of boats to the bottom. Distance between waves is much less than on the ocean and you never get a break from it.

"The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office has identified the man as 70-year-old David Michael VanZandt of Lakewood. The man’s body was recovered from the water at the East 9th Street pier, according to that office.

"VanZandt was the director and chief archaeologist of Cleveland Underwater Explorers, or CLUE, which researches, explores and documents shipwrecks and “submerged cultural heritage” in the Great Lakes, according to its website."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom