Medical Coasties rescue diver with chest pains 70 miles out - Egmont Key, Florida

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by diving or non-diving medical injuries or conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
EGMONT KEY, Fla. (CBS12) — A diver in distress was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) on Saturday.

The USCG stated thatthe diver reportedly suffered from chest pains while on a 31-foot vessel while he was 70 miles Southwest of Egmont Key.

A USCG Air Station Clearwater helicopter aircrew and a U.S. Coast Guard Station Cortez boat crew collaborated to medevac the diver safely.

Following the rescue operation, the individual was transferred to Gulf Coast Medical Center for further medical treatment.

What a weird location. Why not 70 miles SW of St Pete? Why some obscure island?

What a weird location. Why not 70 miles SW of St Pete? Why some obscure island?

Because it is regurgitating a post by the USCG.

U.S. Coast Guard Southeast

My guess the boat crew provided the position based on a way point back to the bay and Egmont is right in the center of the bay.

Because it is regurgitating a post by the USCG.

U.S. Coast Guard Southeast

Direct Link

My guess the boat crew provided the position based on a way point back to the bay and Egmont is right in the center of the bay.
Oh, I get that, but I would think that the whirlybird would reference distance to an airfield or a rescue boat would reference distance to the station.

Oh, I get that, but I would think that the whirlybird would reference distance to an airfield or a rescue boat would reference distance to the station.

Probably way point to Egmont and then head south on the ICW to get to their station. At least that is how I did it when operating north of AMI and my dock was not far from USCG Cortez. I never bothered programing the GPS to follow the ICW.

Everyone and their brother knows Egmont Key.

J/K, I had to look it up, though once I saw it, I remember I had a buddy from college who lived there. Wonderful drummer!

Saturday was the St. Pete Open (The world's largest spearfishing tournament) near Egmont. 70 miles out but I'm guessing they were already headed in from near the deep middle grounds ledge areas til the helo met them at 70 mi. Conditions were flat for lots of boats to make the triple outboards throttles down run to the land of the really big fish. The winning fish was a 98lb Black Grouper which is filleted and then eaten.

Saturday was the St. Pete Open (The world's largest spearfishing tournament) near Egmont. 70 miles out but I'm guessing they were already headed in from near the deep middle grounds ledge areas til the helo met them at 70 mi.

Based on the photos the transfer was done on the Cortez's response boat.

My guess is that they already had the response boats from the St Pete and Cortez deployed out just in case they were needed out near the middle grounds.

Back
Top Bottom