Coastal Shore Diving In Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any boats running this time of year? I'll be in Houston the first week of December and would like to dive. I'll even do the cold dark lakes if I can find a buddy :)

Are there any boats running this time of year? I'll be in Houston the first week of December and would like to dive. I'll even do the cold dark lakes if I can find a buddy :)

There are a couple of lakes south of, but fairly close to Houston. There is Twin lakes down in Manvel, and the other one called 288 lake (that's if they haven't changed the name!)

-Twin lakes Scuba park Twin Lakes Scuba Park is probably not a bad choice ( i dove this one many many times!)

-288 Lake, I haven't done any diving there, but i heard that it isn't a bad place to go, some say "its great diving" for a lake! (its at where HW 288 and the Beltway 8 meet) ask me if you want specific directions.

On the north side you have Blue lagoon Blue Lagoon Scuba , its a favorite of many since it has slightly better vis than the lakes on the south side. but its a longer drive from down town Houston compared to the other lakes.

If you are looking for a dive boat, there are many, but they wont take the boat out for just one diver! but it wont hurt to ask, there is a Scuba shop on I-45 South called Sport Divers of Houston INC. Sport Diver's of Houston - We've got your diving needs covered! (281-338-1611) they are fairly good people (i used to work with them) and if you are lucky they might have a trip going (try to talk to Randy Smith), if not, look for another boat or just find a buddy and go to one of the lakes!!

Good luck :wink:
--P.S.... PM me if you need more info.

We will be parked in Baytown. Visiting Humble Sunday the 7th. I have my drysuit with me and am ready to get wet.We'll be there from the 1st to the 8th

So even going to Houston will be a DRIVE. I still think you should give the dive Op (Sport Divers) a call and ask them about boats and such. but i think you might just end up going to a lake!
If i were there i might have gone diving with you, but i am currently in a different continent across an ocean...

I miss the bad vis :(

You can also check out mammoth lake.

TwoBit

Yeah it would be nice if he can get to it, its a bit of a drive though, its on the way to Free port! (i think there was a thread here somewhere about it!!!)

soudan has given good info, except I think Twin Lakes is about finished as a dive spot. It has been losing it's water and stuff that used to be 15 feet below the surface are now sticking out. All the shops that were teaching there have diverted classes to 288 Lake.

From Baytown you would probably go to 288 Lake. They do not have air compressors or tanks on site so you need to bring full tanks. Max depth 40 feet. Several sunken boats that are falling apart and overgrown, lots of hydrilla and fish.

From Humble, Blue Lagoon is probably your best bet. It's basically devoid of life due to high pH but viz this time of year can be 20 foot or more. Max depth 28 feet. There are lots of platforms and old sunken boats to look at and it's scenic topside.

One problem you may have is the scuba parks around here are not normally open this time of year except by special appointment. You'll need to call in advance and hope some shops have scheduled classes.

I've been out with Capt. Randy and Sport Divers several times. He's a great guy and his boat is set up well. Like all boats, he'll need enough passengers to make it feasible (6 divers max, 4 min I think) AND it's possible he is using the winter season to do boat maintenance. The weather this time of year makes trips unlikely to go.

The Spree and Fling don't run to the Flower Gardens after October. This year the season was canceled when Ike came through, although the Spree went out on a special run the first weekend of November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom