Coastal Cleanup Day September 19, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eric gundrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
"Save Our Shores" is organizing a Santa Cruz County Coastal Cleanup Day for Saturday, September 19, 2009: Santa Cruz County's 25th Anniversary Coastal Cleanup Day | Save Our Shores

They include a scuba option through Aqua Safari's of Santa Cruz: Aqua Safaris Coastal Cleanup Day

Unfortunately, Aqua Safaris doesn't have much information posted about this event. Searching SB, I find some limited information about past events. Searching Google I see that the California Coastal Cleanup Day is a big event, but I've not found much about scuba activities for 2009.

Does anyone know about scuba cleanup activities happening in Monterey? How about closer to San Francisco?

Is this something for "just an average diver"?

Can some past participants share their experiences?

I've heard about this before and it's a great idea! I'll be following the thread and marking the date on my calender.

I've done this before, and they are great fun. It's almost like a treasure hunt where everyone brings home the prize. Very festive atmosphere with good friends. Satisfaction guaranteed!

"Save Our Shores" is organizing a Santa Cruz County Coastal Cleanup Day for Saturday, September 19, 2009: Santa Cruz County's 25th Anniversary Coastal Cleanup Day | Save Our Shores

They include a scuba option through Aqua Safari's of Santa Cruz: Aqua Safaris Coastal Cleanup Day

This is how I spent my last diving adventure. It definitely was worth doing, but it was a very different sort of diving.

We arrived early -- a little after 8:00 AM. My buddy was much later and I was slow to gear up. (He'd probably say that's typical.) Nonetheless, we were the first to hit the water at 9:45.

We entered with a giant stride off public dock #2 (if I recall correctly). This is the dock nearest the end of the wharf. We kicked out to where the wharf narrows, about halfway to the end, then descended into the muck.

Visibility was an astonishing 10' near the surface. It was about 4' at the bottom, 36' down. Apparently this is great visibility for Santa Cruz. Once we started rooting around in the silt, visibility dropped to about a foot. It was a balmy 56ºF.

We didn't swim far underwater. I think we moved a total of 12 feet. We found a pile of debris and spent 45 minutes cutting and digging out what we could. My buddy's air was up, our hands were full and our bag was half full. We met a kayaker at the surface where we handed off what wouldn't fit in our bag. We swam back to get fresh tanks.

Topside our support crew was cataloging our find: one-half crab trap, one baby stroller (no baby), several pounds of rope, some monofilament and assorted other items of trash. Other divers returned with more crab traps, lots of monofilament and trash. They also happened to come up with two small octopuses and a baby eel. The sea life was a big hit with the support crew. They put the octopuses in my mask case for all to see before returning them to the deep.

Our second dive was more of the same. The current picked up, improving the vis noticeably. This time we kicked out to very near the end of the wharf before descending. Again we didn't swim far before finding another crab trap and bunch of tangled rope and monofilament. This time it all came out easily. We made a quick trip to the surface to hand it off to a support kayak and went back for more.

Our next piling had more rope in big knots near the base. About this time our supporting commercial diver came by to check on us and drop off a knife-full of monofilament in our bag. Imagine looking up from minutes of cutting in 2' vis seeing a huge 8" knife coming out of the dark. :confused: I wasn't expecting that. It took me a few seconds to realize all he wanted was for me to take the monofilament off his knife. After that I showed him the ropes I was working at and he took over with his big knife. My buddy and I headed off in search of more treasure.

Overall, the cleanup team of 36 divers and 12 surface support people collected nearly 70 pounds of junk from under the wharf. The vis was poor enough that we didn't get to see much. I was told the site had some great nudibranchs, but I didn't see even one. I did see many sea stars -- some quite large. I also saw a variety of crab -- even wrestled one for a fishing lure. :)

We did see (and smell) many sea lions. They were only 10 feet away as we swam along the wharf. We were told to surface quietly if we surfaced under the wharf; otherwise one of those heavy creatures might drop on us. Honestly, I cannot imagine a sea lion giving up its perch for a diver; they fight so much to keep them. On my last surface swim back I kept my reg in and looked down as swam. I had the pleasure of seeing one of the smaller sea lions swim just underneath me. He surfaced a few feet behind me with a look that seemed to say "want to come play?"

What really made the dives interesting was working underwater. I'd been a site-seer on all my prior dives. For these two I spent my time cutting and pulling. I learned that EMT-style sheers work way better than a dive knife on just about everything I tried to cut. But, my hands sure got tired of cutting. Most of the time I found it easier to break the monofilament by pulling rather than cutting. (But I wouldn't want to count on that in an entanglement situation.)

Working in such low vis was interesting, too. Digging in the muck required patience to wait long enough for it to clear when we wanted to see what remained to be done. More than once I looked up and didn't see where my buddy was. I learned to just wait, look for his light and look up for his bubbles. (I had a light stick on my BC, he did not.) Sometimes he was only 4-6 feet away when I couldn't see him.

Occasionally I was frustrated that I didn't have the sign language to convey what I wanted or understand what he wanted. With patience we worked it out.

I also had some good lessons in buoyancy control. Touch the bottom and there goes the vis for the next 20 seconds or so. How do you pull on a rope without touching the bottom? It was fun to try to work all this out. It became even more challenging when the surge picked up on the second dive. I found that I was bracing my head against the piling to get leverage pulling. I just had to make sure I wasn't squooshing some creature. I also did a lot of hand work just by feel. I took care to ensure I didn't ever feel the sharp end of the snips. :)

It was a good day of diving, doing good work with good people. I expect I'll do it again next year -- maybe sooner.

In other news, Local Santa Cruz crab prices soar as local fisherman wonder where all the traps went.. :p

Nice report, this is a lot like the cleanup dive I did last year near warf 2 in monterey. We actually found a sunken small 8-11' sailboat but it has lots of life and was seated quite good in the sand. Decided it was now a reef and left it be. Lots of other smaller and large items to bring up though.

Nice report, this is a lot like the cleanup dive I did last year near warf 2 in monterey. We actually found a sunken small 8-11' sailboat but it has lots of life and was seated quite good in the sand. Decided it was now a reef and left it be. Lots of other smaller and large items to bring up though.

Interesting. I dove the Del Monte beach end of Wharf II about 18 months ago. We found a 25' wide bowl around where the wharf transitions from a concrete sea wall to wood. This bowl was filled with common trash such as bottles, cans and such. I think there was enough to easily fill a small dumpster. It surprised me to see so much there. I've been meaning to go back and see if it's still there. My buddy's now talking about trying to clean some of it out. Maybe we can recycle the cans to pay for fills. :duck:

Last week I dove the Wharf for the Coastal Cleanup and didn't see anything like the bowl you described. There wasn't much trash for the first 300'-400' of the Wharf, under pilings. We were told not to go too far out since a boat was unloading sardines.

Ben

Last week I dove the Wharf for the Coastal Cleanup and didn't see anything like the bowl you described. There wasn't much trash for the first 300'-400' of the Wharf, under pilings. We were told not to go too far out since a boat was unloading sardines.

Ben, I didn't know there was a Monterey scuba Coastal Clean-up. Was it coordinated through a dive shop? How did you hear about it? Were you diving the harbor side or the beach side?

I'd be happy to do it with you, Eric, just let me know.

My buddy and I are planning a dive for Friday, October 9. Cleaning up around Monterey's Wharf II is one of our candidates. I'm going to post a new thread inviting others to suggest sites and join the dive. You certainly are welcome to join us if you like our final choice. (Monastery is on our list if we can get someone to introduce us to it.)

The cleanup dive was organized by Northern California Underwater Photographic Society and no, it wasn't widely publicized. One person other than club members dove with us; he was there waiting to other divers he expected to show up for the cleanup.
We dove the beach side; I'm not sure the harbor master will allow anyone to dive the harbor side.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom