Coastal Clean Up Day 9/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody know what the conditions are like off the beach now? haven't been there and wondering if there is the surf like they say on the radio. Any prognosis for Saturday? Mike look out your window and tell us!

lol I'll post after diving tomorrow afternoon, Jenny.

We just spoke with two divers who went to the bouys and back (ran out of air half way lol). They confirmed that many of the fish and all the bugs are on their late summer vacation (where DO they go this time of year) and that it's still silty. Surge is moderate close to shore but gentle on the reef. They said the current was nothing to worry about.

I'll post tomorrow evening. For now assume that my previous report still holds for Saturday.

Hey! It's looking good for tomorrow morning.

This morning I floated for about a half hour before work on oil-calm water. Suprised little fish lept for their lives right onto my float to get away from whatever was seeking them for breakfast.

Birds have returned and the first pellicans of the season have been dive-bombing a few feet off shore. The better fishers of the gulls are harrassed into sharing their catch with their brothers.

Visibility is a little better today but not great yet. Water temp is 84 at 20' within 200 yards of shore, but I hit a warm spot that read 90 degrees! Tangs still dominate, thoujgh with all the bait fish returning it shouldn't be long before we see triggers and other preditors returning. Somebody said they ran into a large school of ballyhoo at about 60' just outside the first reef bouys.

It's going to take a while for the reef creatures to dump all the silt on it but I saw a few cows today doing their job. The tangs will keep cutting the algie back and the corals should begin to get some color again.

The current this afternoon was south at about 1/2 knott, but it's northbound now and fairly strong judging from the angle of the inside bouys. I might just snorkel out to get a sense of what's going on.

BUT, the conditions are favorable for a good day tomorrow. We've seen much better visibility, but it's not terrible and there's lots to see.

Plan on doing mostly fun diving, because I haven't seen more than two beer cans this week (and I got 'em already).

freedive once bubbled...
Thanks for the update Mike :) So is it Datura at 8am or are we meeting closer to the Pier?
I haven't read the details but Marc said it was 9am at the pier... Marc says he'll be there before 8 am.

Hey Marc
Thanks for posting this thread and telling all about the cleanup. It is a wonderful feeling to give back. I swear all those fishies were thanking us!
Along with hundreds of feet of fishing line, hooks and sinkers that were collected, I also saw:
Hundreds of lookdowns. I nestled in the middle of them as they passed a foot from my face. Snook in the 4ft range. saw one, two, swim out further, saw a dozen. Within a couple feet of me. Big. My heart started pumping when I realized they could taste me very easily, tho they are not the type to do so. Just very curious. Barracuda, saw one, saw so many from 1 foot to 6 ft. Coming back in a tarpon bigger than me swam past....

Definatly over stimulated! Wow! Wish I could do that dive again, but will have to wait next year when they close the pier again so we can clean up after the fishermen.
BSO showed up and took the gun from the guy. They wanted to know if he could go back and find the casing. The guy wanted to keep it, but it might of been used in a crime...

Thanks buddies-Mike, Marc and Juan for a great dive. Now, when you ready for a night dive?

Great dive, very interesting being under the pier. I ended up with a hook caught in my BC... somehow it didn't pierce the bladder - Jenny, when I yell "DON'T PULL," DON'T JUST LAUGH!!!

The school of lookdowns was incredible - they didn't seem to mind us just hanging out and studying them up close. Another unique experience.

Lots of crab, small lobster, and fish fish fish. I think I saw one of everything. Jenny, I think the 5+ foot tarpon would be a record.

I found seven knives, ranging from your basic kitchen knife to a (formerly) nice titanium folding knife (aka "pineapple slicer.") Of course I think I pulled my weight in tackle off the reef as well.

Next year I'm doing it again... the free t-shirts are cool and I *really* like the free Marlins tickets!!! Are we all going? If not I'll make sure they're put to good use - pm me!

Sorry Mike 'boout the laughing part. I didn't know you had a hook, or that it was caught on your BC. I just saw all that line between the two of us and thought it was wound around you.
Those stone crabs were huge! And the lobster so small!

I found some lures, a wad of fishing line with a dozen sinkers attached, a couple broken fishing poles....

We got to figure out a way to get that pier closed for a year or so. That way we can do a proper clean up! Of course being able to dive there would be one of its major benefits!

I am still in awe at how big those fish were. As I was in the middle of the lookdowns, a darkness overcame me. I looked up to see a massive school of bait fish passing!

It was a nice feeling to do something useful AND get to dive at the same time. I'll have to do one of these again - I think there's three a year sponsored b ydifferent organizations.

Though I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of trash found around the pier, I couldn't believe the sheer amount of monofilament and steel leaders with lures and weights on the ends that we pulled out. Buckets and buckets of the stuff.

The amount of life around the reef there was pretty amazing. The bait fish, and the larger pretators hovering around. And I had never seen toad and scorpion fish before. And the lobster condos full of undersized ;-0 bugs. This was yet another dive that proved to me that you don't have to go deep to see a lot.

It would be a great place to dive all the the time if you didn't have to worry about dodging fish hooks. Maybe a night dive around there might be in order.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom