Coast Guard crews search for missing diver off of Key Biscayne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something is just WRONG with this story... Too many chances to get this guy if the story is " RIGHT "... And the coast guard telling the boat to not go after the guy?? This whole thing smells.....

Jim...

I agree that this story doesn't add up, the guy is right there behind the boat then he's gone and no one knows where. But what probably is wrong is we don't have any first hand accounts of what really happened. All we have is a few short news releases or CG releases and a bunch of people guessing. Unfortunately that's the way it usually is since it's rare when someone directly involved will discuss it.

this is pure speculation, but something that might make some of the story make more sense is if the diver went under. It would explain losing sight of him, and possibly why the coast guard ordered the boat to stay put (can't chase what you can't see, and the boat would give the CG a good starting point). It would also explain why the coast guard couldn't find the guy after 3 days of searching.

this is pure speculation, but something that might make some of the story make more sense is if the diver went under. It would explain losing sight of him, and possibly why the coast guard ordered the boat to stay put (can't chase what you can't see, and the boat would give the CG a good starting point). It would also explain why the coast guard couldn't find the guy after 3 days of searching.

100% plausible, and, in my experience, a very likely scenario.

My understanding is that they drop gear in the water from the starting point, and a "best-bet" search grid is computed from the data gathered, and if you can't see the guy from the boat, where are you going to search? A body on the surface behaves differently than a vessel on the surface, especially if you start moving the boat around under power.

100% plausible, and, in my experience, a very likely scenario.

My understanding is that they drop gear in the water from the starting point, and a "best-bet" search grid is computed from the data gathered, and if you can't see the guy from the boat, where are you going to search? A body on the surface behaves differently than a vessel on the surface, especially if you start moving the boat around under power.
where will you search? You drop your own current drogue with a float and a towel and a weight and determine the surface drift yourself and search down current... Does anyone know if they have organized an underwater search in the proximity of the dive site? In my experience, the CG will only look on the surface and will probably discontinue the search by now, if it has not already been suspended...

where will you search? You drop your own current drogue with a float and a towel and a weight and determine the surface drift yourself and search down current... Does anyone know if they have organized an underwater search in the proximity of the dive site?

That sort-of proves my point, you can do more good searching the bottom while the rescue swimmers and C130's are flying in. I think either choice is reasonable, but the Coasties aren't going to search below the surface, and the guy up in the plane can see the surface better than you.

In my experience, the CG will only look on the surface and will probably discontinue the search by now, if it has not already been suspended...

My experience as well. In fact, since I started diving, I've listened to or participated in maybe a dozen incidents. They won't even send a paper airplane for a dive accident unless the diver is "missing". To be fair though, they bust much @$$ locking for missing divers (on the surface).

Has anyone raised the possibility that maybe he didn't want to be found? Maybe he just decided to run away. That's why he was on a friend's boat.

Has anyone raised the possibility that maybe he didn't want to be found? Maybe he just decided to run away. That's why he was on a friend's boat.
That would be a wild hunch IMO, even tho it's been done. In this case, no way. Too many witnesses and no one close to get him back to shore. He was an Air Force Reserves Major, BTW. News stories on how it happened vary a lot. This one says he jumped in to assist another diver: Search ended for local diver in Florida

You must have dove with the fella who use to own the dive shop in Luraville. There could only be one of him.

This case is an unfortunate incident. The victim probably misjudged things and got into to trouble. Sympathy to the friends and families. Safe diving.

Maybe when he lost sight of the boat, he decided to swim toward the shore. Unfortunately, being from California, he may have swam east.

so is that it.............any further update on this story? i have heard nothing !

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom