CO2 removal from Breathing Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nuke911

Reaction score
For the last few years our breathing air has had a CO2 reading of 300-400 PPM. Just the other day we replaced the air filter cartridges with new Bauer 060037A and 058825A cartridges and we now have a CO2 reading of ZERO. Does the cartridges remove all CO2 from the air. Our testing people perform the test twice same results.

Normally, after you replace a set of filters, you need to run them for several hours before taking a test sample. Samples taken right after a filter change will usually result in false readings. What kind of test is being done? Sample tubes or gas chromatography? I put very little trust in sampling tubes.

Craig

We use sample tubes the filter was run for about one hour which we do before testing them

Unfortunatly high CO2 rates are a result of global warming. In Canada our limit is 500ppm and I have seen these limits passed from time to time on low and high pressure compressors. My recomendation is to talk to your filter supplier, if it is Lawrence Factor give them a call and check to see if a CO2 absorbent agent is included in your filter mix. They will require the filter cartridge number. If it does not then they could recommend a different cartridge that will do the job.
ZDD

For the last few years our breathing air has had a CO2 reading of 300-400 PPM. Just the other day we replaced the air filter cartridges with new Bauer 060037A and 058825A cartridges and we now have a CO2 reading of ZERO. Does the cartridges remove all CO2 from the air. Our testing people perform the test twice same results.

Yes molecular seive can remove CO2. BUT it loads the filter media fast and is often displaced by other contaminants (water vapor) later in the filter's life.

You would be vastly better served by testing your gas right before filter changes instead of right after. Right now the testing is telling you basically nothing you don't already know. As a diver, I want to know the "worst" gas you're pumping, not the much more benign best gas.

Back
Top Bottom