CO testing Belize III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The air on all Aggressor yachts is periodically tested.
Is the air tested before or after filter replacement? How often is each individual compressor tested?

The chance of Carbon Monoxide contamination is extremely unlikely as the compressors are in a different compartment from the engines and the compressor intakes are at the highest level above deck. The engine exhaust is through a wet system discharged at the water line.
The same could have been said about the liveaboard we were on here in the USA. It was a compressor failure that caused the CO issue internally. They now have CO meters on all their compressors.

Are you willing to upgrade your compressor system BEFORE someone dies with inline CO monitoring? The costs are very reasonable, and the increased safety could be used for promotional material.

Potential customers are viewing this and deciding where their money is going to be spent...

I also asked the question in the sticky at the top of this forum and did get a reply.
Reply to you on the other thread...
Thanks for the question. We start with our air intake intake running from the upper deck of the yacht. We then have a three stage filter system that includes a final step of activated charcoal that removes any remaining impurities. We do have a nitrox system that is filtered four times, then feed through the high pressure compressor where it is filtered three more times. As an additional safety measure, we buy all genuine Bauer products to make sure we have the highest quality filters and oils, even though it is more expensive, we want to ensure the purist air/nitrox for our guests.
It does sound like they have a good system, but like most - it could be better. I don't think much of quarterly tests as they only reflect how the system was preforming at that time & date. I like an inline, continuous monitor with automatic cut-off that cannot be bypassed. Even the best systems can screw up, produce CO internally by overheating and burning lubricating oil, and the explanations that follow always include "We never had a problem before." I've heard that claim myself from compressors I've busted myself, not that they believed me when I told them they had issues.

With 21st century technology and current economies in production, compressors can be safer - but few will change until they have to, by customers rejecting tanks and writing reports, by customers refusing to do business, or the ultimate evidence that does come out now and then in spite of attempts to protect tourism business.

The good news is that divers can protect themselves with easy to use tank analyzers. It can be boring to test every tank finding nothing, until the first time you find digits. :eek: And now you don't even have to buy one if you only dive once a year: $35 for a week plus shipping time, $43 with shipping I think at GoPro Rental| EPIRB Rental | PLB Rental

I went ahead and rented one for the trip, thanks for getting the rental started Dandy Don.

I went ahead and rented one for the trip, thanks for getting the rental started Dandy Don.
I was glad that OER was so agreeable. It's a very small price, etc. It can be boring checking tanks if the first 15 or so are clean, but reassuring - and the first time you get a reading makes it all more worthy.

I am happy to report that of the 40 something tanks I tested there was never even a trace of CO detected. Outdoor Equipment Rentals makes it very easy to be sure you are diving good air take advantage of their great customer service. Better safe than sorry.

I am happy to report that of the 40 something tanks I tested there was never even a trace of CO detected. Outdoor Equipment Rentals makes it very easy to be sure you are diving good air take advantage of their great customer service. Better safe than sorry.

Did you take any flack (good natured or otherwise) for testing the tanks?

No not at all I was kind of sneaky about it at first but I soon left it out for all to see and told the Captain what I was doing, a few of the other divers asked me about it and to be sure and tell them if I got any readings for CO.
Did you take any flack (good natured or otherwise) for testing the tanks?

Back
Top Bottom