CO from the tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently, I had a blood test of the pulmonary artery. The everything is a normal except the high carbon monoxide number.

So, the doctor asked me again whether or not I am smoking. I have never smoked in my life. I live in the country side where the air qualirty can't be issued (no factory and only farming area... LOL). We have a central gas heating and electric cooling, but the heating hasn't run at all after Feburary. So, only I can think is from scuba tank...

I dove last Saturday and had a blood test Tuesday morning. Is it possible that the bad air, high CO, could last for two or three days on my body? I am considering all possible sources and rule out one by one, but I can't find any other sources except the air tank, so please let me know if you are experts in this area... I was shocked after seeing the result. :06:

I'm no expert, but I think you should get a CO detector for your house. Do you have a gas stove or water heater or anything else with a pilot light?

I would think if your tank air was that bad, you'd have had a serious problem breathing it under pressure, like be dead.

trigfunctions:
I'm no expert, but I think you should get a CO detector for your house. Do you have a gas stove or water heater or anything else with a pilot light?

Everything is run by the electric except the gas heater. Only electric stove, even, I don't cook at home at all... LOL~~ CO detector might be a good idea, too.

We can check the tank air with CO detector, too?

I don't know if the average home co detector could be rigged as such but I'd be the LDS could connect you to someone that could. I agree with Damselfish, CO is lethal in low PPM I think. If it was sucked into the tank somehow, I would imagine it would have been much worse.

Sometimes tests get screwed up. If there's no reasonable explanation maybe they should redo it?

off the top of my head, Carbon Monoxide takes twice as long to exit the
body than to enter.

so if you were diving for 1 hour, it would have taken 2 hours for the CO to leave
your body.

for traces of CO from your dive to be still present three days later would mean
that you inhaled a gizillion ppm's of CO, which would have killed you

i think the culprit is something else

did you have any of the symptoms of CO poisoning? these range
from mild to severe headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, drwosiness,
confusion, and fast heart rate, depending on severity.

it sounds like you are inhaling very low doses of CO somewhere (perhaps at home,
or in the car or office), enough to stick around in your system but not
enough to trigger symptoms (so i'd say less than 100 ppm)

Howz about the car? Leaking exhaust manifold, muffler, exhaust pipe?

the K

Ok, I'll take a shot at this one. What kind of vehicle do you drive? I know that in my old Jeep CJ5 I would smell like exhaust if I only took the windows out and left the top on. By driving, the exhaust would be circulated through the front by the low pressure behind the windshield.

Kraken beat me to it, I gotta type faster or shorten my replies!

Damselfish:
Sometimes tests get screwed up. If there's no reasonable explanation maybe they should redo it?

That's another true. I also brought the same question to the doctor though. The doctor was sure of the test result (It sounds like he is confident on his medical center too much:wink: ) In addition, man it wasn't fun. The blood was taken after the wrist anethesia. It wasn't nothing like a simple blood test. :06:

My sedan is well maintained by the dealer shop (It is still under 60K mile) and I only put the premium gasoline ($3.2 per gallon) It only takes 3.2 mile from my home to work so that I used to drive less than 10 miles per day. Based on Andy's comment, I had better check my home with CO detector at first. My work place belongs to the state property (university), so I don't think there is any chance of air pollution.. It can be a big social issue if it is from the work place....

Back
Top Bottom