CMAS & BSAC vs others Schools depth limit on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In France the limit for air diving is 60m at this depth the NDL is 0. (the depth limit is fixed by the PpO2 (it must be between 0.16 and 1.6 bar)).

I thought the threshold for a Hypoxic mixture was 0.18 ?

I seem to have seen a study some where that suggested that those who were taught they will suffer an effect at some specific point claimed they were affected, those not so trained did not claim to be affected. Mind over matter.

It's more like when your brain is screwed up, it's bad at self-diagnosing.

My old boss would get drunk to the point that he had no idea what planet he was on, but would swear he was fine, and drive home.

The next day he would brag about how alcohol didn't effect him.

flots.

PS. this was 30+ years ago. He doesn't drink or drive anymore.

I thought the threshold for a Hypoxic mixture was 0.18 ?
my statement was from memory, I just checked the "code du sport" the Law state that the PpO2 must be between 0,16 bar and 1,6 bar.
Now some school can use 0.18 as a safety

It's more like when your brain is screwed up, it's bad at self-diagnosing.

My old boss would get drunk to the point that he had no idea what planet he was on, but would swear he was fine, and drive home.

The next day he would brag about how alcohol didn't effect him.

flots.

PS. this was 30+ years ago. He doesn't drink or drive anymore.

Really not an a comparison. If you take a group people and convince (train) them that there is a gas in a room that will make them dizzy but there really isn't any gas and then asked how many got dizzy when they were in the room you will probably find some who swill say they got dizzy.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org...luences-our-behavior-for-better-or-worse.html

In France the limit for air diving is 60m at this depth the NDL is 0. (the depth limit is fixed by the PpO2 (it must be between 0.16 and 1.6 bar)).

In which school you got certified ?

---------- Post added October 21st, 2014 at 01:04 PM ----------

Really not an a comparison. If you take a group people and convince (train) them that there is a gas in a room that will make them dizzy but there really isn't any gas and then asked how many got dizzy when they were in the room you will probably find some who swill say they got dizzy.

'+windowtitle+'

It seems that is the case.

That federation marks the 60m with air as the recreational limit or, does that 60m enter in the Technical part in your federation.

I have great respect for CMAS they are trully a SCHOOL, but as it is, it requires dedicated time, that not every one have, I see CMAS as the top of others, when you graduate you really are a Diver.

In France 60 m is the limit for air diving. There's no real Tech part in the cursus of the FFESSM (Nitrox and Trimix are taught but not that much).

And as far as CMAS is concerned, ok the school is good, but it depends also on the instructor and the student. I mean : you've got louzy divers everywhere and no school is 'fail proof'.

To avoid a trolling war about the quality of the various certification agencies : I'm PADI/FFESSM/CMAS/TDI/TSA and others certified. I'm not a monomaniac on any of them, and I won't take any part in defending (or bad mouthing) any agency.

That federation marks the 60m with air as the recreational limit or, does that 60m enter in the Technical part in your federation.

I have great respect for CMAS they are trully a SCHOOL, but as it is, it requires dedicated time, that not every one have, I see CMAS as the top of others, when you graduate you really are a Diver.

You are quite wrong. CMAS is an organisation that oversees diver training. It is not a school and does not have schools. One does not "graduate" from diver training nor does one become a "diver". You are confusing a pastime with a vocation. If you wish to go scuba diving all you need do is buy the gear and dive. In most countries of the world it is an unregulated pastime. The primary role of CMAS is to attempt to bring some common standards to the many organisations that exist globally which concern themselves with diver training, either for commercial profit or on an amateur basis. CMAS teaches nothing to anyone.

There are no such things as "recreational" or "technical" diving. These are buzz words - marketing. The commercial organisations that make profit from scuba training, like PADI (the clue is in the name "professional") understand that humans (especially male humans) are competitive and this trait can be harnessed to sell scuba training. Silly labels and badges matter to some people so why not invent a meaningless one - let's call it PADI Master Scuba Diver as that sounds "cool" and a bit like the US Navy MSD. You can "earn" this badge by collecting five others.

Remy, if your geographic location means the best dives are deep and you wish to dive deep then please look at the sensible training route, the choice of gasses and equipment that will allow you to do that safely and to enjoy the wonderful experience of exploring the oceans using modern technology. No one on this forum is going to criticise you for that, indeed most will try to help you achieve that goal. Diving beyond 40m on air with little experience is foolhardy and some people might misinterpret your questions as a desire to do that. Don't be upset by that - people are trying to advise you of the risks, not have an argument.

in France diving (in structure or club) is very regulated, the 60m limit is for air (it's stated by the law) if you want to diver below who must use other gas.
In France there is no written frontier between rec and tech (i think tech is a word instructor use when they don't know a subject ^^)
as said by chrisch, CMAS is not a school but a group of national federation (a federation by country), CMAS try to set standard between federation to make easier for diver to dive abroad (and other think like championship ...).

Back
Top Bottom