CLX450 vs FLX extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to figure out what I want for my first drysuit. Right now, I've got fairly limited drysuit diving experience, with about 15 dives in a rental Bare Trilam Tech Dry. While my wallet would prefer a Bare suit, the rest of me is leaning towards a DUI for various reasons (and I'm sure my boss would prefer I get a DUI :wink:) I was originally looking at a TLS350, but I recently had a customer bring one into the shop to get a p-valve installed so I checked it out and realised that the fabric is definitely not what I was expecting. I'm sure it's durable, but it didn't really inspire confidence in me.

Now I'm considering either the FLX Extreme or the CLX450. I've seen (and felt) the CLX450 in person since my boss and a few other people at the shop have them. I'm not really sure I need the extra rugged top on the CLX, but I'm not sure I want the classic zipper that's on the FLX (though it's roughly what I'm used to with the Bare rental).

Any advice on which to choose or things to consider that might push me towards one or the other?

Oreocookie -

Any chance you can make it to the DEMOTOUR in Alexandria Bay, NY? This would give you the opportunity to dive these suits.

On the TLS350. It does have that soft feeling. Don't let that mislead you though. The fabric is tightly woven and this keeps it from snagging and such. It has long been a popular model with dive instructors.

Do you have broad shoulders? Or perhaps limited shoulder movement? If yes, I would recommend the QuickZip as the opening of this design is easier on the shoulders.

Kathy

Kathy, if I don't have a suit by October, I will very likely be going to demo days to test dive the suits.

Thanks Kathy. I saw that last night and left my own "thanks for the input" comment... for now, looks like the current front runner (by a very slim margin) is a signature series FLX extreme. As a side question, does choosing a different upper body style from the select version give the option of having the quick zip instead of the classic zipper?

The FLX has only two choices for the upper body. If you are really set on the QZ let me know. I'll see if there is an option available. We really do so many things... in so many different options... it gets a little confusing. Kathy@DUI-Online.com.

Looks like the decision has finally been made. I've been swayed by one single word: wrecks... Now all that's left to do is get measured and put in the order for my new CLX450 with midnight blue tough duck overlay. :D

Oh I just heard from Faith that I posted some incorrect information. For those with broad shoulders the standard zipper design has a larger opening vs. the QuickZip. Sorry for the incorrect information. Any questions please let me know.

Thank you,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom