Clueless about doubles.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Jay

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the market for a doubles setup for myself. I recently purchased a Dive Rite BP/W combo (55 lb. classic wing stricly for doubles).

Anyway, most of my diving is done off NJ in anywhere from 70-100' of water. I am a big boy (bodybuilder) @ 5'10" and anywhere from 200 to 230 lbs. depending on the month. Which brings two factors:

1) I use a bit of air.
2) I can handle the extra weight.

Everyone i talk to about the possibilty of using double steel 120/121's looks at me like i am nuts. Now obviously this is cumbersome and expensive. Anyone on here diving a set of 120's?

I am leaning towards steel 95's for the price and weight issue.

Lastly, i am a bit confused as to the valve setups. Right now i run a Zeagle Tech 50D Reg and a Zeagle Envoy Octo with an Apek's 1st stage DIN. I am looking at a double DIN valve/manifold setup with two independent valves and isolator. Should I purchase another first stage to run the drysuit, BC inflator, and console line? Then run the primary and octo regs off my other exisiting first stage? I am a little confused about this.

Unless you are planning on doing deep penetration, deep diving beyond recreational limits, or solo diving (all which require proper training) .... then stick with a single steel 120. It should be more than enough air for recreational diving.

I'm 6' tall, light smoker (yah yah ... goal is to quit by September 15th), slightly out of shape (festively plump but not fat) and weigh 250lbs .... I am able to dive off an aluminum 80 no problem and stay down with the pack.

Even if you don't plan on doing any of the above, and you are completely sold on a set on doubles, make sure you still get proper training on them for proper use of the manifold and isolation valve. During this training, you will learn the different options for setting up your regs and inflation hoses.

And yes, I too think you're nuts for using double 120's for recreational diving. :wink:

I am not the greatest on air consuption either (6'3 240lbs SAC 6cf/min) but my double 85s are plentyfor dives to 200+ ft I have dove them for several years and never had the need for bigger ones.

Big Jay:
I am in the market for a doubles setup for myself. I recently purchased a Dive Rite BP/W combo (55 lb. classic wing stricly for doubles).

Anyway, most of my diving is done off NJ in anywhere from 70-100' of water. I am a big boy (bodybuilder) @ 5'10" and anywhere from 200 to 230 lbs. depending on the month. Which brings two factors:

1) I use a bit of air.

Everyone i talk to about the possibilty of using double steel 120/121's looks at me like i am nuts. Now obviously this is cumbersome and expensive. Anyone on here diving a set of 120's?

Lastly, i am a bit confused as to the valve setups. Right now i run a Zeagle Tech 50D Reg and a Zeagle Envoy Octo with an Apek's 1st stage DIN. I am looking at a double DIN valve/manifold setup with two independent valves and isolator. Should I purchase another first stage to run the drysuit, BC inflator, and console line? Then run the primary and octo regs off my other exisiting first stage? I am a little confused about this.

Go for it! If you find you have plenty of air left after a dive you can make another without refill.. There's a lot of info/links in the DIR sequence about doubles, regs and hose routing...

Big Jay:

1) I use a bit of air.

If you have the "Classic" wing it provides 59lbs of lift. Doubles 120's are way overkill for recreational diving in my opinion. I would opt for the double 95's or less. I use double alum 80's and I can do two deco dives (160' or less) with reserve at the end of dive 2. I would encourage you to take a course as well.

With a manifold you would have your first primary regulator and primary inflator hose off one valve (post) and your 2nd regulator/inflator hose off the second post. You always want to be setup such that if you needed to shut off a valve you would still have a working regulator and inflator system. I keep my first primary reg and wing inflator hose off the right post. My spg, 2nd primary regulator, and drysuit inflator hose are off my left post.

--Matt

I dive dbl 120's and 119's. They are for 2 dives on a single set with a deco. I like em

I recommend PST E7-100's
These will give you about 87 CF at 3000 psi (each); if you need the extra gas you can pump 'em up to their rated 3442 psi for 100 CF each - and they're about the same size and (empty) weight of AL 80's.
Sweet tanks, plenty of gas.
Rick

Find someone or a shop local that have doubles you can try out, the other issue with doulbes that no one here has mentioned yet is balance, I prefer 108's/104's/E8130's for balance reasons, 119's/95's/98's are too short for me, but work out perfect for my wife, the E7 120's would be way too long for me.

As for setup I run the long hose and BC inflator from my right post, backup reg, pressure gauge and drysuit off of my left, the main thing is long hose on right, backup on left, check DIR resources for why this is the prefered method.

For OW diving 100's sound like a nice option, but I've never dove them.

I have tried the E7 - 120 as doubles. They are not as heavy as you might think. If you want to dive doubles, then I say do it. I am not a body builder, 6' at 220 lbs., but I do know that only you will know what will work best and how comfortable it will feel. Remeber when scuba diving that there is no such thing as having too much air.

wedivebc:
I am not the greatest on air consuption either (6'3 240lbs SAC 6cf/min) but my double 85s are plentyfor dives to 200+ ft I have dove them for several years and never had the need for bigger ones.
:11:
Did you miss a decimal or something? 6cft/minute is crazy. Mine is a a bit under .6 and I smoke and don't exercise much.
To be 6 I think I'd be out of breath from breathing so hard. :wink:

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom