Club Catamaran in La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
We planning to visit Baja this August and have narrowed everything down to Club Catamaran. Since this will be a family trip and I'm the only diver, I had to pick a hotel with a nice clean, deserted, white sand beach. Hotel facilities including food have to be great and not be packed with college drunks. Anyone been to Club Catamaran lately? I'd love to hear your diving experience around the area and the resort itself.

Thanks!

I think you mean Club Cantamar, which is in La Paz. If so, you should think about flying to La Paz, rather than flying to Cabo. I have not been to Club Cantamar, but the guidebook reviews like it. I don't know what the beach right in front of Cantamar is like; I do know they have a dive op.

For Cabo, August is low season. You're unlikely to run into spring break college kids. If you stay "far away" from Medano Beach in Cabo, you will absolutely not run into spring break college kids.

Depending on your budget, you can try the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (pacific ocean side of Cabo). While your family vegs in the pools, you take the shuttle to town & go diving. Or, you could stay in the Riu Palace (new architectural monstrosity on the north side of Medano Beach, fairly far from town, but still walkable), or Villa Del Palmar (a bit closer to town than the Riu Palace). The Riu is all-inclusive, and has an onsite dive op. As they opened pretty recently, you could probably get a deal there. Villa Del Palmar has a great kids' slide pool, and a number of kids' activities.

We've been staying at the Hilton Los Cabos (about 20 km from San Lucas). They have a great kids' club program where your children do crafts & such. Not perfectly deserted beach, as there are some jetskiers & ultralights, but not obnoxious. You can then either take a shuttle or bus to town, or rent a car. If your family golfs, the Tourist Corridor is where you want to be; world class golf courses next to the Westin, Hilton, & Sheraton.

Gussy:
We planning to visit Baja this August and have narrowed everything down to Club Catamaran. Since this will be a family trip and I'm the only diver, I had to pick a hotel with a nice clean, deserted, white sand beach. Hotel facilities including food have to be great and not be packed with college drunks. Anyone been to Club Catamaran lately? I'd love to hear your diving experience around the area and the resort itself.

Thanks!

We are leaving for La Paz on the 29th. Will be staying in Cabo the 29th and 30th then going to La Paz. We are staying at Club Cantamar thru Aug 5th. Can't say enough about how helpful the staff at Club Cantamar has been so far. If the stay there is as good as the pre-trip help, it will be a great trip. I'll post a review once we return.

IF IT IS CANTAMAR....
i went there last year. Diving crew is amazing, very good, but the hotel is quite far from the downtown you must use a taxi, and beach, food and general service and other activities at the hotel, in my opinion, are not that spectacular.
They can lend you (or rent) kayaks or take kids and non divers snorkel which is great, to a really nice places around la paz.

Good dive there.

here are some threads about club cantamar:

http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?searchid=1680316

I'm looking at going to La Paz (on my own) in August and would love suggestions on where to stay, and whom to dive with.

Also, how far is La Paz from Los Cabos, which seems to be have more flights into it from LAX.

thanks
Alexandra

Thanks everybody!

I guess I'll know sooner or later.

Alexandra: I can't get a flight on the web from SFO to La Paz. A travel agency quoted me too much money...so I'll fly to SJD and have Club Cantamar pick us up. $75 per person round trip. Too much money...but no choice. If I rent a car, we'll need a full size van and it will cost slightly more. When are you going there?

dasalomon:
I'm looking at going to La Paz (on my own) in August and would love suggestions on where to stay, and whom to dive with.

Also, how far is La Paz from Los Cabos, which seems to be have more flights into it from LAX.

thanks
Alexandra

La Paz is 120 miles from Cabo. Club Cantamar, where we are staying in La Paz, says it's a 2.5 hour bus ride. They have transportation from Cabo to their resort which is $60/pp round trip.

I am still working on my trip but looks like I'll be there the week before labor day. I just don't know if I am going to go to Cabos for 4 days and then to La Paz or go to La Paz first Aug 25-31 and then Cabo Sept 1-5.

Club Cantamar seems to be my top of list of La Paz although I am certainly open to other suggestions.

In Cabo, I'll be staying at the Westin.

-Alexandra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom