Closest diving to Ubud???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Selamat pagi!

I'll be in Ubud for the month of June. Where is the closest place to dive? Is there anywhere that's like, day trip close, maybe 1 hr drive close?

We only have about 20 dives so we would need a good, responsible operation to take us out.

Terima kasih banyak!
Ibu Pamela :wink:

Hey opalobsidian

You may already know, Ubud's not anywhere near any dive sites. It's about 1.5 hours drive to the nearest coast for dives. You can easily contact dive operators and ask if they would pick up and drop you off. Most would do it for free but a few would charge USD 10 per pax. It makes more sense to contact dive ops which are based in Sanur or anywhere nearby. My recommendation would be Ena Dive. Most other dive ops are decent too.

While you're in Ubud, if you've not been there, make sure you try Babi Guling and Bebek Bengil. Simply delicious!

F/E

opalobsidian:
Selamat pagi!

I'll be in Ubud for the month of June. Where is the closest place to dive? Is there anywhere that's like, day trip close, maybe 1 hr drive close?

We only have about 20 dives so we would need a good, responsible operation to take us out.

Terima kasih banyak!
Ibu Pamela :wink:

When in Ubud, you are in a rather central location, and not really close to the sea. Hence you can choose between Menjangan, Ahmed or Tulamben, or Nusa Dua, or Candidasa. However, it will be a long drive for a day trip.

Ubud is nice, but I would not spend one full month there unless I have to work.
Why not planning a few days somewhere else in Bali if you want to dive?
If you are not too experienced, I would suggest Menjangan. Now, if you look for the best dives, I suggest Nusa Penida and Candidasa. But be careful who you are going with...
In the middle, and still top end quality for dives, Tulamben and its famous wreck (a must in a diver's life, if you are in Bali) also offers a couple of nice wall dives. And that would be rather close from Ubud (but more than one hour drive)
It's one man's opinion.... Go and check on websites, and make up your mind. I find it part of the pleasure of the trip to surf and search for info...

I did a day trip dive from Sanur, 3 1/2 hour drive to Labuhan Lalang for Menjangan (2 dives). Then returned to Ubud before the sun sets in. I guess it is possible to do it from Ubud.

For photos and travel information, check my signature.

Thanks so much for the information Malay, Nut and 4!!!

Yeah I have to be in Ubud for business, we work in Tampak Siring. We rent a Jimmy so we don't need a driver.

Actually we'll be taking 10 days off in the middle of our stay to go to Northern Sulawesi:D
We'll get our most excellent diving done there.

None of you mentioned Padang Bai, which I reckon is closest to Ubud...? Has anyone dived Padang Bai? It might not be the best Bali dving but if it's close to Ubud then we can make it work. I sure don't want to endure the traffic to make a day run to the North Side!

Terima kasih banyak
Ibu Pamela:wink:

Tampak Siring? What do you do there?

If you've got a car and are comfortabble with the driving in Bali, you can drive to any of the coasts direct. Of course, you gotta contact the dive op at that coast for your necessities. For the best value, ie. driving time vs diving gratification, I strongly recommend Tulamben. Padang Bai's great for beginners but I'm sure Tulamben is not something you can't handle, provided you're certified for the depth. Off hand, I think it's about 26 m.

If you're driving, yeah, I guess you gotta think about the driving time. You don't want to spend 4 hours on the road driving to Menjangan and arrive there knackered. Diving there is nice but between 1-1.5 hours to Tulamben and 4 hours to Menjangan, I'd rather Tulamben considering the dives.

Of course, if you've got someone driving you, it's a different story. I slept most of the way to Menjangan. When I arrived there, I was as fresh as a budding rose. That's my feel. I'm not sure if others would beg to differ.

Selamat diving!

F/E

opalobsidian:

Yeah I have to be in Ubud for business, we work in Tampak Siring. We rent a Jimmy so we don't need a driver.

Actually we'll be taking 10 days off in the middle of our stay to go to Northern Sulawesi:D
We'll get our most excellent diving done there.

None of you mentioned Padang Bai, which I reckon is closest to Ubud...? Has anyone dived Padang Bai? It might not be the best Bali dving but if it's close to Ubud then we can make it work. I sure don't want to endure the traffic to make a day run to the North Side!

Terima kasih banyak

opalobsidian:

Terima kasih banyak

Padang bai is your best bet by far. The diving there is excellent, I recommend manta point, blue lagoon, gila biaha, gila tepekong, and gila mimpang. there are several dive operators there, I recommend OK divers or Gecko divers. Out of padang bai you will see mantas, sharks, frogfish, leaf scorpionfish, stonefish, cuttlefish, sea snakes, lots of nudibrachs, lots of fish. maybe mola molas and wobbegong.

and yes, padang bai is some of the best diving in bali. Its also a really nice place to stay, less touristy than other places, with a village feel. I'm not sure why someone said padang bai is for beginners, padang bai has a range of sites, from beginner sites to sites much more advanced than in tulamben. Let me know if you have more questions!

here are a few of my bali photos:
http://www.scubapost.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1159

get a grip and look at a map of bali...ubud is up in the mountains dude...i suggest the nearest hotel swimming pool or mountain stream. there are also some large lakes up in the bali mountains and maybe some volcano crators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom