close-in gulf diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
I asked this earlier as part of a larger post, but didn't get any response, so I'm going to scale it down and try again.

Is there much gulf diving that is accessible from a trailerable boat, say 25'? How 'bout some stories?

Friend of mine has 24' explorer. We went 40 miles out to rigs last year with no problems. However, guy who owns boat is instructor, cave diver, and ultracautious in gulf. Guys I go with are very experienced divers. One is a former instructor. I would not go out on a 24' boat with someone who just bought it and has no experience. They went last weekend but I had to miss due to a wedding. Got to grab those great days in Gulf when you can. Obviously this weekend is a wash-out

You see a lot of boats that size at the rigs out in the Gulf. Last weekend, we saw a group of fisherman at rigs some 35 miles or so out; they were in what looked like one of those flat, ultra shallow running bay fishing boats. Those guys had one helluva lot more faith in the accuracy of the weather report than I'll ever have.

I'd have my life insurance up to date before going out to the rigs in anything less than a 40 footer.

The Gulf can be hell, and can become it with no warning (like while you're down on a dive).

3dent:
I asked this earlier as part of a larger post, but didn't get any response, so I'm going to scale it down and try again.

Is there much gulf diving that is accessible from a trailerable boat, say 25'? How 'bout some stories?

I've launched a Hobie cat in the surf in Corpus and dove rigs within sight of shore. Blue water comes in quite close in Aug & Sept. I.ve seen some do it in small aluminum V-hulls. If conditions are not right, just enjoy the sun & surf.

I havent myself but as an advid fisherman I have talked to several divers that hit the 8 mile rigs off of galveston / freeport in late summer with good results.One sure fact is that the Coast Gaurd will fine you or the boat owner if they catch you beyond the 8 mile limit with only one engine...outboard that is.Hey Mark....when ever Mother nature gets over her P.M.S.,holler....I`m ready to hit it.

I've done 80 miles out (total day's run about 250 miles) in a 26 fairly regularly, but it's a weather dependant thing. Our cirteris is 10 knots of wind or less, blowing onshore. Definitely a "pick your day" kind of thing. The other thing you have to juggle is fuel capacity & consumption. Similar to the cavers we use the rules of thirds, with between a third and a quarter of the capacity held in reserve in case it gets interesting on the way home. Diving out of Bioxi it's also important to clear the barrier islands in daylight due to many shallow sand banks invisible in the weather suitable to make the run.

FT

There are plenty of sites relatively close to shore. You can see the stand pipes from shore in Port Aransas and I've made good boat dives on the north jetty. The distance is more often a function of where the blue water line is located. People generally go farther offshore to get clear water. I've seen clear water all the way to shore in Corpus Christi. It's rare, but it happens. 20-30 miles out during the summer will usually do. A 25' boat will generally do, but not as many days a year as a 30' boat. I wouldn't get too hung up on length. Arguably more important are features such as a deep v, self bailing cock pit, good radio, 2 motors, etc. Don't forget the stern/transom. Taking a wave from behind can get you in a hurry.

Sorry to be so general, but yours is a difficult question to answer given the highly variable conditions in the gulf and the subjective nature of what is "acceptable" in terms of boats and dive sites.

MG

3dent:

3dent,

Are you considering buying a boat for diving, etc? Or are just wanting to know if one can reach divable locations in smaller boats off the Texas coast? I won't tell you where I've been in small boats over the years.

Small boats.....24 to 30': Weather is critical. Boat design is of utmost importance. Closed bow, (cuddy cabin design very good) Good freeboard and high transom. 22 degrees of deadrise (deep V) Twin engines, high splash board in the case of self bailing outboard. I don't need to list the electronics and safety equipment that is required, and a lot that is desired!!

With a good, quick, seakindly trailerable boat one can do a lot of very good diving along the Texas upper coast. The ten fathom line is much closer out of Freeport, even closer farther south. The good thing about a trailerable boat is being able to watch the weather and then go when conditions are favorable. Also, the boat can be mostly loaded prior to launch, saving a lot of time and effort dockside.

A good skipper is a tremendous plus. Boat handling is like anything else......you can't beat experience and training.

And, yes.....the Flower Gardens and a whole bunch of other places out there are off limits for this type of boat configuration.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom