Close call at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Here's a situation that happened to me last year. Throw it out there for comments on how you would have handled it...

Was doing a planned deep dive on a wall at a favorite site. The site is a shore dive (rocky entry with mild surf), lots of other divers in the water and shore fishermen on the cliffs. Water was coldish (50 or so), drysuit diving.

Our target zone required a 200 meter snorkel, then descent down a deep wall to around 120-130ft. This site has some great soft coral beyond 100 ft and occasional larger fish. My buddy (perhaps 40 dives together) was taking pictures and when we buddy up for photos, I usually act as his chaperone, kinda like a wing man.

He is a much more experienced diver than me, though I have always had the feeling that he sees diving safety "rules" more as guidelines. Occasionally in the past, he has pushed air return limits we have set in pre-dive plans.

This was our first really deep dive together alone (though we have been with others before on deep dives). We were down at 120 and found some kind of shark (looked like nurse family, but still have not identified it) and buddy was taking photos. As always I was keeping a close eye on depth, air, and N2. Buddy crept down to 125. Forgive me that I do not remember the exact numbers, but at this point, I realized that it was about time to start our slow ascent due to our bottom time and air remaining. We had decided ahead of time on bottom time and/or air time to turn back. I showed him my computer with a thumb up to ascend. He looked at me kinda puzzled then went down a few feet more to snap another shot of a huge soft coral. Damn 128...

Now I was beginning to sweat. He is older, bigger, and more experienced than me. How forceful could I be, I wondered to myself. I looked at my computer again, nitrogen bar clicked up one more notch to just below the deco indication, and knowing my air consumption moderately well, it was just enough for a slow ascent and safety stop.

I went down and grabbed his computer for a look. It was lit up like a pinball machine, lights flashing, arrows pointing up, beeps...I shoved it in his face and motioned up one more time. He looked at me puzzled again, then turned his head at another growth of soft coral a few feet down the wall. S##t! Was he narced or what?

Now I knew I had to make a decision, I figured I had about 3 choices that I could recall: Stay and possibly die, try to drag him up and possibly die, or just leave him to possibly die. None of them sounded particularly good. I was just about to let go of him and signal that I was going to surface, when he gave me the surface signal. Relief! After slow ascent and safty stop, I think I had about 300 psi left in the 14 L steel tank.

Anyway, the lessons learned on that dive were too numerous to list here. In our "debriefing", buddy played down the seriousness of this incident. Since joining the scuba board recently, I am now more certain just how serious it could have been.

Unfortunately for me, the choice is often to dive with this buddy or not at all. However, for sure, if and when I dive with this buddy in the future, I will consider myself a solo diver, and spell out ground rules for when we turn back (time, depth, air, N2) and more importantly, what happens if one person decides to overstay those limits.

JAG

Me and the people I dive with have a signal that we use for "turn". It means I don't want to go deeper, further or whatever and that it's time to head for home but also that there's nothing wrong and no reason to hurry.

We also use another signal. The thumb up. It means that the dive is over. Period. Over. When some one gives that signal we take the shortest safe rout back or up, whatever the plan and location calls for. When that signal is used there isn't any discussion or questions asked, though it'll get talked about in the debriefing.

jagfish:
He is a much more experienced diver than me, though I have always had the feeling that he sees diving safety "rules" more as guidelines. Occasionally in the past, he has pushed air return limits we have set in pre-dive plans.
As far as I'm concerned this highlights your biggest mistake, he has violated your agreed-upon plan in the past and will do so again in the future, it's probably only a matter of time before it catches up with him.

As far as the situation in your post goes, it's a tough call, I personally don't tolerate violating the plan except for safety reasons. I probably would have been a pest (getting in his shot) if he ignored me but if he continued to refuse and put me in jeopardy, I'd be gone, buddy or not. And sure as shootin' wouldn't dive with him again.

Ben

That certainly can be a dilema, should I stay with my buddy or go up by myself, or try to drag my buddy up with me. First you need to have a conversation with your buddy whereby at anytime, any depth any reason or no reason at all either one of you can call a dive ( thumbs up ) and that's it dives over and you both ascend, period and once on the surface absolutly no reprecussions at all period. You can certainly discuss why you or whoever called the dive but absolutly no pressure or intimidation can occur. That means 1 minute into the dive or 40 min. Someone calls the dive and up you go and nobody gets mad or gives a s@*t. That the only way you should be diving. If your buddy can't work with this find a new buddy, before something worse happens. P.S. next time don't cut your air that close, if the @#sh*le doesn't want to go up go without him, tough choice but can you dpend on him to have anough air to get you to the surface??

jagfish:
This was our first really deep dive together alone (though we have been with others before on deep dives). We were down at 120 and found some kind of shark (looked like nurse family, but still have not identified it) and buddy was taking photos. As always I was keeping a close eye on depth, air, and N2. Buddy crept down to 125. Forgive me that I do not remember the exact numbers, but at this point, I realized that it was about time to start our slow ascent due to our bottom time and air remaining. We had decided ahead of time on bottom time and/or air time to turn back. I showed him my computer with a thumb up to ascend. He looked at me kinda puzzled then went down a few feet more to snap another shot of a huge soft coral. Damn 128...
I went down and grabbed his computer for a look. It was lit up like a pinball machine, lights flashing, arrows pointing up, beeps...I shoved it in his face and motioned up one more time. He looked at me puzzled again, then turned his head at another growth of soft coral a few feet down the wall. S##t! Was he narced or what?
The first thing to think about when you are below 100 ft and your buddy doesn't respond normally is nitrogen narcosis. Test him out with a question or two - tap on your guage and ask him how much air he has, tell him how much you have - if he doesn't respond, or responds slowly, then you are pretty sure he's narced. Your next goal is to get him up a few feet so the narcosis wears off and he's back to normal. Since you are acting as spotter, I assume, point to something up a few feet to take a picture of, then a few feet higher. If that doens't work, tell him you're narced and you need to go up a bit, or your reg is leaking, or you are low on air - lie, but for his safety. Most people when they are narced are passive, not aggressive - you need to take control and help your buddy. That's what you're there for.

When you plan a dive below 100 feet, you should talk about narcosis - its a fact of life. Ignoring it doesn't make it not happen, and if you are not ready for it, then you may not respond appropriately.

As far as diving with him again, anyone can get narced, especially below 100 feet, but not every time. Next time it might be you. It is not a predictable thing. Dive with him again, but also talk about the effects of nitrogen narcosis, what you would do for each other, and agree that safety is more important than photos. If he doesn't agree with the last point, then find a another buddy.

Hi DG
I thought the same thing, narcosis. Up to recreational limits, I have never been affected so far. I have dove with this buddy on numerous occasions to similar depths and he's been fine. After the dive, one of the things I asked him was whether he was narced or something, to which he replied no.

Interesting question. Since I have never been consciously narced, I don't know, but if you experience significant narcosis, you do have memory of it, right? So if he was experiencing significant effects, he would have recollection of it and could talk about it after the dive...

JAG

To Ben...
Like most really bad situations, this buddy's signals early on in terms of pushing limits we had set were not particularly egregious. A little hesitation here and there to end dives at preset limits. It was more looking back after the final incident that I put those pieces together.

JAG

Mike is correct - there are two relevant signals that buddies need to agree upon before hitting the water:

Turn the dive. It's getting time to go, but we can dawdle a little bit.

Call the dive. Thumbs up means now, no hesitation, head for the exit as quickly as safely possible. If your buddy doesn't immediately respond, this should be interpreted as a crisis situation and you should take whatever steps are required to get him to comply. If he fails to comply because he's being willful or stubborn, then that was your last dive with him. It's that serious.

Which sign do you guys normally use for the first case - turn the dive but we can still dawdle a bit?

My understanding is that below 100 feet everyone is affected by nitrogen narcosis, but not everyone exhibits abnormal behavior. I don't think he would necessarily know if he was narced. Below 100 feet, reactions are usually slower, thinking is clouded, dexterity is reduced. If there are other factors such as cold, dehydration, tiredness, residual sickness, etc. then the effects can be more significant. I know an instructor who has been diving for 30 years and he describes an incident where he was affected quite severly around 130 feet - almost killed him, but his buddy got his attention and brought him up a bit.

All that said, if you feel this guy was deliberately pushing the limits, and was indeed ignoring you, then don't dive with him again. It may not have been narcosis and you definitely don't want to dive with someone who ignores your needs (not to mention his own, since he was ignoring all the alarms on his own computer).

Another thing, you might consider for your own safety is to think about carrying a pony bottle for dives below 100 feet - not to depend on, but just as an extra safety precaution. There's not much room for error at that depth, and if you didn't go up when you did, you may not be telling us about this problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom