clips for camera gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe, looks like we both need a coiled lanyard :)

Nice seeing you and the misses last night.

Coiled Lanyard

A word of caution. I use a coil and clip as well but had an interesting experience diving Anacapa Island.
Giant stride from boat. DM lines down camera. We're in a strong current so I swim to anchor line, grab hold, and clip on my camera. It felt a little weird so I looked down to see my camera floating away in the current. Couldn't quite figure it out. Thought I must not have really clipped it. But no. There hung the clip and coil. Seems the little "key ring" had been instaled on the nylon strap of the coil lanyard clip. But since the nylon is thin it had worked its way into the keyring and spun out. I moved the key ring to the plastic which is much thicker and won't spin out.

Nice reminder, Rick. I use 2 types of coiled lanyard connections, either the split ring or the nylon cording on one end and a brass clip on the other. Something similar happed to me, the nylon cording had frayed. I now include an inspection of the lanyard right along with regular camera maintainence.

The camera never leaves my hand from the time I have it passed to me, to the the time I hand it back to the boat hands. As massive as it is (Housed SLR w/ Dual "reef burner" strobes;about 30lbs topside) it's about 4-6 oz neg. UW and only takes one hand to handle.

Back
Top Bottom