Clipping Accessories to D-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldwater_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What does everyone do to attach accessories to D-Rings when there isn't an included clip? For example, my light I just got only has a wrist strap: no clip. Do you just buy normal bolt snaps or is there a better method? Thanks.

You can buy normal bolt snaps, and tie them on with braided nylon line (cave line). Be aware that the SS bolt snaps you buy at hardware stores often don't have a stainless steel spring in them, so they will eventually rust. You can slow the process by making sure they're soaked free of salt whenever they're used, and by applying WD-40 to them. Or you can solve the issue by buying the more expensive marine hardware that has SS springs in it. I buy mine at my LDS, because I'm too lazy to put together an order to get them on line.

You can buy normal bolt snaps, and tie them on with braided nylon line (cave line). Be aware that the SS bolt snaps you buy at hardware stores often don't have a stainless steel spring in them, so they will eventually rust. You can slow the process by making sure they're soaked free of salt whenever they're used, and by applying WD-40 to them. Or you can solve the issue by buying the more expensive marine hardware that has SS springs in it. I buy mine at my LDS, because I'm too lazy to put together an order to get them on line.

Okay thanks. I hate spending ridiculous money for specialized scuba gear ($10 for a clip?) so I might risk general hardware. I'm thinking maybe a plastic bolt snap like this (Acetyl Plastic Bolt Snaps) might work, although it's possible there's still some sort of metal spring inside (not sure how they work).

I tried searching cave line and nylon line without much luck, but would it be something like this:
Amazon.com: Ace Twisted Nylon Seine Twine (71610): Home Improvement

Or another couple things that might work:
Acetyl Plastic Swivel Snap Hooks
(might be a little easier than bolt snap and less likely to need spring - my new safety sausage has something like this built onto it)

Or even:
Single Adjust Side Release Buckles
(put string on both ends, keep female end permanently attached to BCD, and can remove male end)

Sound like these would work?

Okay thanks. I hate spending ridiculous money for specialized scuba gear ($10 for a clip?) so I might risk general hardware. I'm thinking maybe a plastic bolt snap like this (Acetyl Plastic Bolt Snaps) might work, although it's possible there's still some sort of metal spring inside (not sure how they work).

I tried searching cave line and nylon line without much luck, but would it be something like this:
Amazon.com: Ace Twisted Nylon Seine Twine (71610): Home Improvement

I'd avoid those plastic clips. They don't look very easy to use, especially when wearing dive gloves. Not to mention, the springs are likely to be a rust problem. I tried the cheap route and ended up throwing away the cheap, rusting, hard to use snap bolts and purchased the marine ones. You'll end up saving money by buying the right snap bolts the first time.

It's not easy to find cave line, #24 BRAIDED nylon line. The twisted stuff (usually sold as mason's line) is NOT what you're looking for. I finally gave up trying to find it in local hardware stores or even LDSs and West Marine stores. So, I ordered it on line.

An alternative would be to check with other local divers, especially if you are a member of a local dive club.

I'd avoid those plastic clips. They don't look very easy to use, especially when wearing dive gloves. Not to mention, the springs are likely to be a rust problem. I tried the cheap route and ended up throwing away the cheap, rusting, hard to use snap bolts and purchased the marine ones. You'll end up saving money by buying the right snap bolts the first time.
After that post I saw these: Acetyl Plastic Rotate Snap Hooks

This looks just like the thing that came with my safety sausage, and I don't think has any metal parts.

It's not easy to find cave line, #24 BRAIDED nylon line. The twisted stuff (usually sold as mason's line) is NOT what you're looking for. I finally gave up trying to find it in local hardware stores or even LDSs and West Marine stores. So, I ordered it on line.
Why do we need to be so specific? Isn't it just to tie two things together?

And where did you find it online, I searched for exactly what you typed in "#24 braided nylon line" and came up with nothing containing "#24"?

Well, you need a finger reel anyway so why not buy one with 125' of line and use a few inches? See Dive Rite Finger Spools

24' of said line comes with every DSS BP/W but that's a pretty pricey way to get string.

What you're looking for is a string that can be tied, won't come untied, is easily cut with a knife (hence no tie wraps) and won't rot underwater. The finger reel has Dacron and real cave line is nylon.

You can get cave line here: Nylon Line #24 cave line, one pound One # is a LOT of line, about 840'.

Of course, it's all about what works for you.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom