Clipping Accessories to D-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude! Go to Home Depot and get the brass snap clip in the hardware section. Tie it off with a nylon coard small enough that you can cut it eaisly if your stuff gets snagged on something (i.e. 1/8" to 3/16").

Some of the hard core divers here will tell you to only use snap bolts ( UMX Small Size Bolt Snaps with Round Slide Bar - Schematic Drawing ) because they are the least likely to catch on something. Thats fine if you dive wrecks that are covered in fishing line and fishing nets all the time. Otherwise use a cheep push gate snap clip ( UMX Easy Push Gate Marine Rope Snap Hooks - Schematic Drawing ) made of brass. rinse it after evey dive and you'll have no problems.

Another thing I do is I splice an eye in the lanyard through the hole in the tool (like the hole in the handle of a dive light) and through the snap clip so the snap clip is attached to the tool. On the other end of the lanyard I splice an eye large enough to fit the tool through. Then you can attach the tool to your rig by slipping the free end of the lanyard through a "D" ring and threading the tool through it thus capturing the D ring in the doubled over lanyard. The snap clip is used to clip the tool off so it is not dangeling when your not using it and the lanyard keeps you from losing it.

I second the previous link to Nix's Diving Snaps site. If you buy in bulk (you can mix and match big and small, double-enders, etc) they come out to $3-4 per snap, and you can NEVER have enough.

What do people think about buckles? I know some accessories are sold with them, and in my opinion they are some of the easiest clips to get undone with gloves on. You can get plastic buckles for dirt cheap and I was thinking to do something like using the nylon line, "permanently" attaching the female ends to D-Rings and then attaching the male end to the accessories also using nylon line. To me, this seems like it would work well, am I missing something?

Plastic fastex buckles are easy to unclip with one hand, but they take two hands to re-connect (one hand to hold the male and the other to hold the female piece). A bolt clip can be operated with one hand (which is what you want).

I used to use the exact configuration you describe to connect the HP hose (guage console) to my BC. It worked well because I rarely had to unclip and clip underwater. I also used to use the same configuration to hold my octopus (but i included a break-away) section with rubber bands to allow the octopus to be ripped off in a real emergency. I've since gone to a necklace config. for my octopus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom