Clearing someone ELSE's mask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mask clearing is a very important skill. Would it be safe to say that the majority of underwater panics are because of this?

A flooded mask is really an uncomfortable experience for new divers. You suddenly become blinded, your eyes are burning, things go from comfortable to foreign very quickly.

I wouldn't dive with anyone who couldn't clear his mask.

We learned in Dive Con class to use a piece of aquarium tubing. Just slip the tubing under the edge of the mask by their nose, inhale from your reg then put the tubing in your mouth and blow gently and steadily. The water drains magically from the mask. We had to do it on each other. Yes, I'm carrying the tubing along with my CPR pocket mask in my BC.

spacemanspiff1974:
Oh, by the way, great job on clearing someone elses mask. But if she was cute you could have always blown mouth to mouth until air came out her nose....

Ha ha! I'll keep that one in mind for the future....."honey, it isn't what you think! She just couldn't clear her mask/forgot how to breathe, etc." :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom