clearing mask harder at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoneGunman

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to get certified in the next few months. I've been reading a lot on here, it seems many people have a problem with clearing a flooded mask. I've been practicing in the ocean and can retrieve my mask , get mask on, clear snorkel and then clear the mask underwater but being that I'm only snorkeling it's only a few feet from the surface. Is clearing in deeper water with a regulator more difficult?

I don't think it is............. And I can't think of a reason it would be, all other factors equal. Just a matter of practice.

No it's not more difficult - it's exactly the same as all the pressures are balanced. In fact it's probably easier to clear a mask with a regulator in your mouth than while using a snorkel!

. . . and please don't be put off by the vocal "many" who have a problem clearing a flooded mask. They are very much in the minority.

Many more just do it as they were shown, ***as you already DO!***, without any trauma or discomfort. It is much easier at depth with all the air you could ever want in your tank and in a neutrally buoyant state.

Please remember that you signed up for the class to have fun, so have fun while learning your new skills. Please.

theskull

Many people do have a problem clearing a mask, it is one of the most problematic skills for a new diver to achieve. Some people do it right the first time, while others it takes lots of practice etc....

It might be best to wait until you plan to take classes to practice your mask clearing....you don't want to get into a bad habit now that will be harder to break in the future.

jason

I believe the hardest thing for people to learn it to be able to breathe in and out of there mouth without a mask off, I took some getting used at first, but the feeling of water going up my nose while breathing was easy to overcome.

jepuskar:
Many people do have a problem clearing a mask, it is one of the most problematic skills for a new diver to achieve. Some people do it right the first time, while others it takes lots of practice etc....

It might be best to wait until you plan to take classes to practice your mask clearing....you don't want to get into a bad habit now that will be harder to break in the future.

jason
What a strange reply! And from someone who should probably know better! The poster can already clear his mask while using a snorkel so why shouldn't he practice - it's not rocket science - and it IS very easy to do? All he wanted to know was wether it was about the same at depth - not be told that it's difficult and he shouldn't really be doing it now!! I'm sorry - I really don't think that such a negative reply was called for. It's not like he wants to go solo diving or suddenly dive to 200ft! A few people have some problems - I agree - but most don't, and especially with his snorkelling experience I'd be willing to bet he won't!

My post was not negative, and more than a few people have problems clearing a mask. I know certified divers who dread this skill, why? Because they don't feel comfortable doing so.

All I was trying to say is that maybe he should wait until an instructor can watch him clear his mask to ensure he is doing it correctly. No need forming a bad habit....and just because he can clear his mask, doesn't mean he is doing it correctly.

...and not all people think it is an easy skill.

jepuskar:
My post was not negative, and more than a few people have problems clearing a mask. I know certified divers who dread this skill, why? Because they don't feel comfortable doing so.

All I was trying to say is that maybe he should wait until an instructor can watch him clear his mask to ensure he is doing it correctly. No need forming a bad habit....and just because he can clear his mask, doesn't mean he is doing it correctly.

...and not all people think it is an easy skill.
Can you tell me what some bad habits could be? From what I've read on this board there does not seem to be much that can be done wrong. I'm tilting my head back , pulling the bottom of my mask away from my face slightly while exhaling from my nose and letting go of the mask at the same time I stop exhaling. Take a breath from my snorkel and repeat until my mask is clear.

LoneGunman:
<snip>......I've been practicing in the ocean and can retrieve my mask , get mask on, clear snorkel and then clear the mask underwater but being that I'm only snorkeling it's only a few feet from the surface. Is clearing in deeper water with a regulator more difficult?
As you can see from the above he doesn't seem to be having much trouble! The simple answer to the question is that it's NOT more difficult at depth. I'm not sure what you mean by doing it the wrong way - what other way is there? - you allow air pushed into the mask through your nose to displace the water. Now, if you tell someone that it IS difficult and give them something to worry about (which wasn't there to start with) what do you think might happen?
LoneGunman - I agree with The Skull's post - just enjoy your cert training - it's great fun and I bet you'll have a great time doing it!! My instructor friend had a first lesson with a young lady last Saturday - she made one tank last 90 mins at around 7 meters depth. The delight on her face when she came out of the water was a picture!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom