Clear Mask Changing Colors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KZMAN

Reaction score
I realize that clear masks will yellow, when exposed too much to the sun. Any ideas out there for reversing this dis-coloration without harming it? One of my brand new masks is already yellowing, after one dive trip, although I tried to expose it to the sun as little as possible. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

its not so much the sun as it is black rubber. Contact between clear silicon and black rubber (such as fin straps) will cause silicon to yellow. No fix.

WW

The yellowed mask is the mark of the diver with vast experience and great knowledge; the newbies will look upon you with awe and admiration. They will secretly wonder how long it will take to get their own masks to look so seasoned (and cool).
E. itajara :)

Neoprene has a similar effect I believe - eg if you mask is inside of your wetsuit in your dive bag.

Doesn't affect the integrity at all, just a discoloration.

when exposed to UV radiation which produces/accelerates the yellowing effect.

I'm not sure about black rubber having any role in this. I have clear silicon swim goggles that have never been in in contact with black rubber and they have also yellowed.

AFAIK, there isn't any way to reverse the effect.

Epinephelus once bubbled...
The yellowed mask is the mark of the diver with vast experience and great knowledge; the newbies will look upon you with awe and admiration. They will secretly wonder how long it will take to get their own masks to look so seasoned (and cool).
E. itajara :)

Never looked at it this way lol... always used a black skirt before
Thanks...

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
when exposed to UV radiation which produces/accelerates the yellowing effect.

I'm not sure about black rubber having any role in this. I have clear silicon swim goggles that have never been in in contact with black rubber and they have also yellowed.

AFAIK, there isn't any way to reverse the effect.

Thanks, and I wasn't sure about the black rubber, in my case, although I've heard that this can also contribute to the problem, as I mentioned before it was a new mask, and I have always stored it in a case away from my other gear.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
its not so much the sun as it is black rubber. Contact between clear silicon and black rubber (such as fin straps) will cause silicon to yellow. No fix.

WW

Thanks WreckWriter, I did'nt think there was a fix, was just hoping one of the old salts out there may have had some kind of trick.

I had decent results on my BigEyes with Softscrub. I was doing my regular lense cleaning and decided to go over the whole thing because it was looking pretty ratty. Looked like new for a couple of months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom