Clear Lake/Good Beginner Dives near Eugene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnbob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm new to the world of scuba diving. I'll be getting my certification through Eugene Skin Divers in mid March. :D Myself and a couple buddies (who are also new divers) want to do a dive at the end of March or beginning of April. We were thinking Clear Lake but I'm concerned it'll be too cold still. Can anyone tell me what time of year I could dive Clear Lake in a wetsuit?

I'm guessing it'll be too cold by then still so could someone suggest a good dive site somewhat near Eugene, Oregon for beginners for that time of year? I'm thinking maybe Newport also?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Robert

Clear lake is pretty cold year round. My wife's family lives near there, and we've been in August, and it was still quite a bit chillier then I'd want to swim in. You're going to need a 7mm full suit with another 5-7mm over your chest. It's going to be cold... temperature range is 35-43 degrees or so, and that's damn cold in a wetsuit. It's going to be a short dive. Dive it dry if you can.

That said... the next time we're down visiting her parents for any amount of time, I'm bringing my dive gear and diving it in my drysuit. We went rowing around the lake, and I couldn't help but think how awesome it must be underwater. Super great visibility, and looks like there's stuff to see under there.

Try Foster Lake in Sweet Home too. Not a lot underwater, and it won't be filled until the summer, but lots of easy entries, relatively shallow (60 feet or so max), 40-60 feet visibility, 45 minutes from Eugene - not a bad place for some beginning dives. Use a dive flag - lots of dumb boaters there.

Heard Waldo Lake is popular too, and relatively close to Eugene.

Newport is okay... you really need a boat to get offshore for the best diving though. There's some decent spots inside of Yaquina Bay, but the visibility is generally low, and you need to time the dives to avoid diving during tidal exchanges.

The best place to ask is at Eugene Skin Divers. They're a great shop, and pretty knowledgeable about local dive spots. There's an active dive club in Corvallis, and I think one in Eugene as well.

Hope that helps, and welcome!

-B

What Brandon said is about right on all points. I'd recommend 7mm farmer John or a dry suit anywhere you dive in Oregon (except a pool).

Have a great time getting certified. Those guys over at Eugene Skin Diver are awesome.

Brandon is very right! Dive Clear Lake in a drysuit. The last time I dove there water temp was 38 degrees. It was in August. Vis is awesome though!!

Dexter res?vour can be dove year round, its gonna be chilly to cool.
Waldo and Clear lake are high altitude, CL is year round, waldo gets snowed in.
coastal lakes are year round.
Newport has good diving off the south jetty

Clear lake is a great dive with incredible visability and stuff to see at the resort end. The campground end has alot of grey and some rocks and a petrified forest.

Eugene is 15-120 minutes to good diving

Clear Lake = brrrrr year-round. We were up last August and the temp at 40' was about 38 degrees. I was noodling around on the surface in a kayak with a 5/4 fullsuit on and decided to skin dive down to the group of divers below me...that was a mistake! Water took my breath away the second I hit it.

As far as "local" diving goes, my girlfriend (an instructor at ESDS) and I make a couple of dives each week in Florence at the North Jetty. (see photo on profile..I'm AT the Jetty in it...lol ) Vis there is hit or miss, but lately it's been a solid 10' (compared to the summer when it's less than 5'...that's pretty good...lol). And you have the added bonus of being able to go crabbing (if that's your thing) or get harrassed by a seal (as we did a couple of weeks back).

Other than that, there is always the few hour trip up to the Puget Sound if you're looking for great visibility and a TON of underwater life without having to worry about currents/tides/etc. I don't know if you're doing your checkout dives up at Mike's on Hood Canal or in Florence, but if you head up to Mike's you may never want to dive anywhere but the Sound again! lol

One other thing...you may want to invest in a drysuit in a hurry if this is a sport you really want to pursue locally. It makes life so much easier and warmer for all...:).

Oh..and agreed with the above posters...ESDS is an AMAZING shop.

Cheers,
Austin

PS--let me know if you guys want to come out after you're certified, Robert...I'll head out with you in a heartbeat!

Hey guys... one important note for you when doing some of the diving suggested here- it is important to remember that Clear Lake, Dexter, Waldo and the like are all altitude dives, which requires a bit more training than the basic OW cert. This doesn't mean that you can't make them, but my suggestion would be to ask the guys at ESDS to hook you up for a day or even a weekend for a Discover Local Diving. (Oh wait- I'll volunteer!) One of the DM's or Instructor's will take you up there, show you the good parts of the lake, and also make darn sure that you are well within your NDL limits for an altitude dive.
Also- it is CHILLY anytime of year, but the current temps up at Clear Lake make it very difficult on the GEAR- not just the divers. Please use caution when diving in exceptionally cold water- regs have a mean way of freezing up in water below 40 degrees- let alone the frozen self you may become. Also- plan each dive as not only being at altitude, but also as a very cold dive- at least 10 feet deeper than you actually are going. I would suggest waiting to make those dives until the conditions warm up and the lodge itself opens. Please also keep in mind that cell service does not work up there, and it is remote in terms of potential help. That said, I would gladly dive that site with you anytime!
(Generally the end of May is when diving becomes pretty popular up there again!)
Oh- in addition to the actual post- dives are generally much shorter and air consumption much higher based on the cold. And while I have dove this in a wet suit, it is can be very uncomfortable- and I would NOT dive this in the winter that way! (Heck, I won't go in my drysuit up there in the winter...) :wink:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think it sounds like we'd be best off sticking to Newport at that time of year. I would definately like to dive more often than I think my friends are going to be able to so I'll be looking for people to dive with after I get certified so I might just be getting in contact with you later Austin.

I had my first lesson last weekend. It was just in the pool but it was still a blast. I imagine being in the ocean or a lake will be incredible.

-Robert

Robert...no worries...drop us a line (Nymbus is my significant other/dive buddy/in-house instructor.. :) )! We'd be happy to head out with you, I'm sure. We pretty much dive every week in Florence/Newport/somewhere...lol.

Oh..and who is your instructor? (if you don't mind me asking...)

Cheers,
Austin

Thanks Austin. I'll probably get a hold of you shortly after my certification.

Margaret is my instructor. She seems to be a pretty cool lady!

-Robert

Back
Top Bottom