Cleaning zinc corrosion from steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason for paint is, primarily, color. Besides, a nice, water-proof polyurethane couldn't hurt. They use it on steel-hulled boats with excellent results.

Hmm. Never heard of Galvilite.

It is amazing to me but those old 72's seemed to have better galvanization than the new expensive steel tanks like OMS etc. I have had rust issues on the big LP steels that was nothing like a galvanized, unpainted 72 steel tank. Stay away from rubber boots and the old steels should stay fine with a little care.

Some of the modern tanks may be a process where zinc is sprayed from special torch rather than hot dipped and is a thinner and more porous coating

Some of the modern tanks may be a process where zinc is sprayed from special torch rather than hot dipped and is a thinner and more porous coating

I don't know about the new ones being sprayed or not, but I do know that the old ones were hot dipped, which is the best way (for longevity purposes, not necessarily profit purposes) to do it.

Fabers are sprayed. According to the Worthington web site, Worthington tanks are hot dipped. I don't know about PST.

I don't know about the new ones being sprayed or not, but I do know that the old ones were hot dipped, which is the best way (for longevity purposes, not necessarily profit purposes) to do it.

Hot dipped is the best. Older PST were hot dipped, I am not familiar with newer ones. There is also a special round out procedure that should be done on hot dipped tanks prior to the hydro, PST bulletin D-100

The reason for paint is, primarily, color. Besides, a nice, water-proof polyurethane couldn't hurt. They use it on steel-hulled boats with excellent results.

Hmm. Never heard of Galvilite.

Pretty painted scuba tanks is an oxymoron. Just look around at all the pretty painted AL80's.

LOL. I have a 1991 Catalina that I stripped less than a year after I bought it. The paint was chipping off in big flakes. After I stripped it, I repainted it Regal Blue with epoxy based polyurethane and it still looks good. Of course, I've had to touch up an occasional scratch but, for the most part, the paint has "weathered the storm" remarkably well. I know that a tank doesn't have to be pretty to do the job. I just like pretty colors!

I looked up Galvilite and I like what I read about it. If I can find some, I'll recoat the bottoms of my unpainted, galvanized tanks. Thanks for the tip, Captain.

I looked up Galvilite and I like what I read about it. If I can find some, I'll recoat the bottoms of my unpainted, galvanized tanks. Thanks for the tip, Captain.

You can order it direct from ZRC. I prefer using it from a pint or quart can and rolling on 3 coats with a foam roller.

Back
Top Bottom