Cleaning the Marmora Dam site on August 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
selling all of the fishing lures we retrieve!

maybe get Molsons or Labatts to sponsor since we'll be recovering a signifiacant amout of detrius from thier fine product lines!

.....we could always return the empties for a few new full ones!! :wink:

Lets decide on a date and get this in motion........

weight_for_me once bubbled...
How about July 19 or 27....I figure it will take that long to get a concensus.:D
Randy...

Randy, the 27th is after the 26th which is the OFWF dive get together in Brockville.....Don't know how that would work smoothly....

For myself unfortunately I will be doing a DM course at Camp Ponaka.....

August dates are better for me, but please everyone if either one of these dates suggested by Randy work for the masses..DO IT!!

I'll try to get up for any date past mid July. But wouldn't be able to bring any shore help until Sept.

Mike.

Randy we can talk about the date this Sunday. I think this is going to be a good thing for both the diving community and the community of Marmora. It's a win/win situation. Thank you in advance to all of you. If we can get it going by mid July we will if not we will have to look at early August. We don't want to intrude on the OFWF BBQ dive at all.

Most clean up dives - Little Lake, Peterborough; and Campbellford - are normally scheduled later in Aug/Sept. so that the boating season's "droppings" can be dealt with.

You will also be competing in June/July/Aug with prime diving dates that many divers have already committed to other events.

I would happily attend. You might want to put in a call to the Adventure Divers shop in Peterborough or whomever handles the Campbellford dive for some logistical tips.

Why not blend garbage recover with enviro dive as they do in Peterborough (eg. installing fish habitats, etc.)

Consider segregating certain areas for newer divers and monitoring entry/egress depending on how silty the site is.

If heavy objects are being recovered, make sure it is divers equipped and trained to do so...

Marmora for the non-Ontarians is a delightful hamlet, less than an hour's drive East on Hwy 7 from the Metropolis of Peterborough (Peterborough? The place where Toronto vacations, slightly NE of GTA...)

Maybe flyers sent to some of the dive shops asking for participation on all levels. We want this to work but not get too big.

Any Saturday after June 27th is probably good for me. Set a date, and I will let you know. Sundays will not work that great. My schedule would be too hectic, even though it is in the same town as the church.

Dale

weight_for_me once bubbled...
I can talk to the local politicians about a cleanup (I just happen to know them all) ....I have some MOE contacts also. I don't know why wouldn't allow it; cleanups happen all the time.
Randy...
Are you guys not all related anyways? Venture into Madoc for some chlorine for the gene pool? Just kidding guys, wife is from that (red) neck of the woods. I don't know if there is a PADI shop arround there but they usually want to do the project aware things and I think you get freebees from PADI. Maybe one of the PADI types could explain the project aware. I participated in Brockville's clean up once and they had all sorts of prizes for the divers (from local businesses) such as Restaurant vouchers, ball caps, and movie passes. M&M meat shops even provided the divers with free hot dogs and peach juice. It was a hoot.

OK Cobaltbabe, we'll discuss it tomorrow. Thanks for all of the input everyone. I know it will be hard to get a time that's good for everyone but we'll try. I think it's important to keep it relatively small (for the first time). Yes, knowledgeable people in the use of lift bags is important, as well as having good shore support (attention divemasters!!). I'm writing a letter to council now for their meeting monday nite and expect to get full support. I'm going to be lookig for some expert consulting here in the next few weeks. If anyone wants to volunteer as an advisor(s), pm me with your e-mail address and you'll be in the loop.
(Why do I have the feeling that I'm the lead guy on this???)
Randy...

Back
Top Bottom