Cleaning the DC 1400 housing lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have used my DC 1400 now on quite a few dives and always place it in the rinse bucket as soon as I board, the lens on the housing seems to need some serious cleaning. Is it possible that the lens has some type of film on it from manuafacture?

What do other do to clean this?

I have used eye glass cleaner and q tips and it has improved a bunch. However I can still see that it is not perfectly clear.

Any tips on proper cleaning and care would be appreciated.

There's no film on my DC1200. I just use a microfiber cloth and eyeglass cleaner. And it cleans up everything perfectly. If there's more on it than that then I would be careful not to scratch the lens at all… But rinsing it thoroughly and then using proper cleaner on it should do the trick :)

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Sounds like you are doing the right actions. When sea water evaporates, it's more than just salt - very hard, think Portland Cement, so keeping it wet helps, rinsing as soon as you get out, etc. The boat(s) your diving may have a problem with their rinse tanks, in that some lame divers will put their snotty, defog treated masks in camera tanks - something I object to politely but strongly. I don't mind a wrist computer in one but hate a reg or anything else with body fluids in one.

When I am finished diving for the day, I soak mine in a small container of RO water for an hour before drying & opening.

I use Zeiss lens cleaning wipes. They are an alcohol wipe so they dry instantly and leave no residue behind. I use them to wipe out the inside of housing and the dome port before I use my camera. They can be found at Walmart in a pack of 50 for around 4 bucks. The only place I could find them in Walmart was in the eye glass department.

Back
Top Bottom