Cleaning some rust off first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raystafarian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aqualung Titan LX -

I was checking my first stage and I have some rust apparent on the yoke inlet (or ACD?)-

38167641824_252d0e1508_z.jpg

and the rubber cap -

37996442155_d37b0b9740_z.jpg

Is this something I can clean off / remove myself? If so, how? Vinegar/water and toothbrush?

Thanks!

Just get a Scotch Brite Pad and dry scrub it off. Then make sure you rise and dry yer reg next time . I.e. take the dust cap off and let it dry after rising. The bigger question is where is the rust coming from as most regs are chrome plated brass. :)

Last edited:
Where is the rust coming from? I don’t know what the inlet in made of on that reg but I haven seen much in the way of rustable metal used in scuba gear. Usually rust on a filter is coming from the tank but with the acd it’s not easy to tell. If the inlet is actually rusting, I would assume it’s made of stainless and this is just a surface thing, if so wiping it off and drying with the cap loose should stop it.

I have never heard of or experienced a Rusty Regulator ..I guess it does happen ????

This reminds me of my USAF training...
We were issued MI 30 Cal carbines -- had maliciously clean them prior to qualify on the range ,
We scrubbed and polished to they were better than new-- ready for inspection.

One OCS candidate forgot to polish the butt plate and he as given a demerit for
"RUSTY BUTT"

O well it is early in CenCal-- the sun is not up - and I am not awake

SDM

Thanks, all. It might not be the ACD that's rusting, it could be from a tank. Unfortunately the last time I dove with it was more than a year ago :oops:

I'll see about wiping it off.

Okay, green scotch brite worked pretty well for the reg and magic eraser for the cap. There is still some discoloration, but the metal doesn't feel pitted or anything.

Thanks

38185552864_2ba035efbb_k.jpg

38901066841_57d1cf83a6_k.jpg

Last edited:
check the filter retainer if it has one, i cant tell in the pic.. they are stainless but if it's a cheap knock-off the stainless is poor grade and will sometimes rust in saltwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom