Cleaning Powerstretch 300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim2386

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a new DUI owner, I've just got one question right now. With all the sweating I'm bound to do in my suit, I know I can clean the drysuit inside and out with mild soap and water. However, is there a way to clean the polartec undergarment without damaging it? I'd just like to know before I go and do something it was unintended to do.

Thanks!
Jim

I put mine in the wash with like colored clothes in cold/warm water. A little wisk and downey and its all clean. I don't dry it though. I have yet to have a problem with mine.

I put mine in the wash with like colored clothes in cold/warm water. A little wisk and downey and its all clean. I don't dry it though. I have yet to have a problem with mine.

I have heard from some that washing it breaks down the fibers in the undergarment and can reduce it's thermal efficiency over time. Not sure if it's true, but I'd just like a confirm or deny. Thanks for your quick respose :)

Well the label says wash in warm water so that is what I do. I dont wash it after every dive. I hang it up in my garage with the rest of my gear where it dries. I wash it probably every other weekend or 4-5 dive days. Or if it gets really dirty from being dragged in dirt etc.

I have been doing this since i started wearing the undergarment and so far so good. Wore it yesterday and stayed nice and warm in 53 degree water for over an hour.

A couple suggestions for you.....

Be proactive in it not getting dirty in the first place, or at least slowing down the process. Wear a lightweight set of polypro long underwear underneath to protect the polartec from your sweat, etc.

Secondly, with regards to the Thinsulate DUI garments, DUI does recommend NOT using detergent as it does break down the material and reduces the fabrics ability to do what it's supposed to do. When I first got my DUI Thinsulate underwear, Dick Long told me to my face at a DOG event to not wash with soap or fabric softener and to only clean it when absolutely necessary and to use a cup of bleach in the wash water, adding the suit to the washtub after the filling and adding the bleach.

But with the Polartec, I was told at this last DOG event I could wash with mild detergent. I personally would avoid fabric softener as it does mat fabric that has loft. I've had other Polartec products from LLBean and NorthFace that state specifically NO FABRIC SOFTENER.

So, long story short....be proactive, help your suit stay cleaner, longer, by wearing another garment next to your skin. And consider not using detergent for every wash, but maybe adding a cup of white vinegar to the wash water instead to drive out the smelly little gremlins that want to take up residence in your underwear. :eyebrow:

I am sure one of the DUI folks will be by tomorrow to tell us current protocol. Hopefully you haven't washed your suit in the meantime.

A couple suggestions for you.....

Be proactive in it not getting dirty in the first place, or at least slowing down the process. Wear a lightweight set of polypro long underwear underneath to protect the polartec from your sweat, etc.

Secondly, with regards to the Thinsulate DUI garments, DUI does recommend NOT using detergent as it does break down the material and reduces the fabrics ability to do what it's supposed to do. When I first got my DUI Thinsulate underwear, Dick Long told me to my face at a DOG event to not wash with soap or fabric softener and to only clean it when absolutely necessary and to use a cup of bleach in the wash water, adding the suit to the washtub after the filling and adding the bleach.

But with the Polartec, I was told at this last DOG event I could wash with mild detergent. I would avoid fabric softener as it does mat fabric. I've had other Polartec products from LLBean and NorthFace that state specifically NO FABRIC SOFTENER.

So, long story short....be proactive, help your suit stay cleaner, longer, by wearing another garment next to your skin. And consider not using detergent for every wash, but maybe adding a cup of white vinegar to the wash water instead to drive out the smelly little gremlins that want to take up residence in your underwear. :eyebrow:

DAMN YOU UNDERWEAR GREMLINS! *shakes fist at sky*

Hi,

Kathy at DUI. Good questions and feedback on the DiveWear fabrics. We have on our website a quick guide to washing your DiveWear. The link is DUI DiveWear Care Instructions

As mentioned above Thinsulate and Polartec require very different care.

Soap acts as a wetting agent on Thinsulate fibers. That is why it is recommend to wash as little as possible. We suggest that you wear an undergarment that wicks moisture away from the body. This will also absorb the majority of the body oils and smell as well. Wash this often and launder your Thinsulate only when necessary.

Polartec is much more forgiving in the laundry. Again launder only when necessary and avoid fabric softeners. Below is the information on our website regarding Polartec.

DUI Polartec® PowerStretch® / DUI ActionWear™ / DUI ActionWear™ Professional / DUI StretchLiner™

Cold wash
Line dry
Do not use bleach
Avoid use of fabric softeners
Do not iron
Do not dry clean

Thanks again for the questions and comments.

Kathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom