Cleaning Out A Flooded Ys-01

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karloss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My search on the subject did not meet my expectations so here I am. Does anyone have any experience on cleaning out a strobe after being flooded. Just wondering what solvents or techniques to use to remove the oxidation from the battery compartment of a Sea&Sea YS-01. Any help will be appreciated, Brian.

Ouch. I poured mine full of distilled water and shook it, repeat until all the lake water came out.

How bad is the oxidation? Vinegar, and then rinse well with distilled water. Dry as well as possible, then seal in a container with rice.

Or, send to Reef Photo in Florida and they will clean it up for you.

pencil eraser will polish up the contacts just fine. as long as they have not been eaten away. and only if they need it.

how much damage? fresh water or salt water? post some pics.

i have had 1 saltwater flood and simply rinsed the battery compartment in fresh water and was good for the next dive.

I had one customer use baking soda on his. But usually we just recommend fresh water, then use rubbing alchol to dry it out. You can clean the lower contacts with a pencil eraser.
You can buy a new battery cap for about $45.
The strobe should work if you've cleaned it up pretty well.
But the lower contacts have tiny springs in them that over time will break after a flood and eventually you'll probably have intermittent operation. Replacing them requires disassembly by a tech and the service generally costs around $200 or so.

Vinegar will remove some of the corrosion. But, as Jack indicated the electrolysis that goes on with a salwater short tends to eat up the contacts. So, success will very much depend on how bad and how long the flood was.

If you do use vinegar, watch carefully and minimize exposure to get the best results with the least time. Rinse. Then soak with a bit of baking soda water to neutralize any residual acid. Rinse again with alcohol to help remove water. Dry well > hope for the best.

If that doesn't work, it's repair shop time.

I had one customer use baking soda on his. But usually we just recommend fresh water, then use rubbing alchol to dry it out. You can clean the lower contacts with a pencil eraser.
But the lower contacts have tiny springs in them that over time will break after a flood and eventually you'll probably have intermittent operation. Replacing them requires disassembly by a tech and the service generally costs around $200 or so.
Tiny Springs? Is the YS-01 battery compartment different from the YS110a? (and the ys-50, 60, 90,...). My strobes are all "old", but have the same very simple design in the battery compartment:
  • a + post that penetrates the housing (guarded by a circular collar to prevent the flat bottom battery negative terminal from contacting - brilliant design!)
  • a - post that penetrates the housing
  • a double spring contact that connects the + and - of the second set of batteries together. This does not penetrate the housing and can be replaced without disassembly (2 tiny screws accessible from the battery compartment hold it in place)
The battery cap has a 4 spring contacts that connect the batteries together (again with a plastic collar that prevents a - battery terminal from connecting with the + terminal strip. these are very simple strips of spring metal easily replaceable without any major disassembly.

This was a solid simple design. Did S&S screw with it?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's actually my strobe Karloss is asking about. The strobe is currently functioning, but I assume it needs to be cleaned up.

Jack do you recommend putting water in, closing it up and shaking it around and then repeating with alcohol or just dabbing with a q-tip with the water and then the alcohol? It is currently functional.

Doesn't look too bad.
Water won't do a thing for that unless you haven't already rinsed out the salt. Follow my instructions posted above. Use the vinegar pretty briefly, maybe just a minute or 2.
After it dries I'd also hit it with some PURE liquid silicone (spray, wipe and let dry), or a.....very....thin coat of silicone grease.

The only thing to worry about are the metal contacts. The brown stuff on the plastic looks ugly but is simply cosmetic dirt. It will not harm the plastic housing.

Brown gunk on the metal is not good. Make sure they are clean and free of any contamination. They may continue to corrode if left as is. From the picture I would worry most about your negative post & the bottom spring contact.Your battery cap clips also should be cleaned to remove all of the brown stuff.

A quick short soak in vinegar followed by a very good fresh water rinse, then a scrub and rinse and then dry using warm air from a hair dryer. You will most likely need to do some scrubbing around your negative post to remove the residue that has collected inside the collar. It may eat the post which is a very bad thing as the post goes through the housing wall. A small piece of soft wood with a blunt end works fine for scrubbing - trim up a Popsicle stick (toothpicks are too short) or use a small wooden bbq food skewer. Or you can use a custom tooth brush - melt the handle just past the head and bend it 90 degrees. Regardless of the tool you create, scrubbing will be tedious.

Once dry lightly polish the contacts with a pencil eraser.

If I remember correctly, the 2 screws on the battery cap can be safely removed to free the metal clips for cleaning. The spring clip in the bottom of the battery well can also be removed, cleaned and replaced via the 2 screws holding it. Those screws do not penetrate the housing wall.

You also should straighten the bent clip on the battery cap.

After it dries I'd also hit it with some PURE liquid silicone (spray, wipe and let dry), or a.....very....thin coat of silicone grease.
Why do you suggest this? What is the benefit of adding grease / oil? I would worry about transfer to the o-ring and batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom