Cleaning oRings, & their grooves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The advice that i've been using is to clean the oRing metal parts that collect salt deposits over time with a water/vinegar mixture, which works great.

I was wondering though, would the water vinegar mixture harm orings?

Main reasong htat i'm asking is I have a part that is very small part....the Mode Dial pin plus oring for PT-015. It's very salty (bad design by Olympus here)...with an oring which i'm reluctant to remove coz it's such a small oring - in fear that I'll wreck the oring by moving it.

ANy comments anyone?

Water/vinegar solution is very good for soaking metal parts in to dissolve deposits. After soaking for several minutes, rinse with clean water & wipe dry. If some deposits were not completely dissolved, try rubbing gently with something like a green ScotchGard pad or coarse cloth. As for the o-ring remove it before soaking. Deposits are probably also in the o-ring groove under the o-ring. This small area cannot be properly cleaned with the o-ring in place. I would also suggest replacing the o-ring since it is out. As you said, the inner/outer shaft design is flawed. The smallest Olympus o-ring is not properly sized. You have probably read the this control is subject to weepage & leak. Below are o-rings sizes & suppliers. RickG on DigitalDiver.net might still have some o-ring kits available. Make sure you use the correct sizes.

PT-015 O-Ring Sizes

Here's a URL to the thread that contains all the information on the c5050 orings:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5433

Japanese JIS 2401 "P" series is the Standard for sizes P3 & P5, you'll find the standard here: http://mdmetric.com/or/jispgb.htm

All o-rings BUNA 70 (aka nitrile)

buttons:

seventeen o-rings, order number OR-2.8X1.9 from Maryland Metrics ( $3.94 per 100)
(aka Japanese Standard Size P3) http://mdmetric.com/

on/off & mode dial control:

one o-ring, order number OR-4.8X1.9 from Maryland Metrics ( $3.94 per 100)
(aka Japanese Standard Size P5)

one o-ring, Precision Associates custom o-ring 0.053 x 0.074 (unknown cost)
http://www.precisionassoc.com/customf.htm (1-800-394-6590)

jcclink:
....The smallest Olympus o-ring is not properly sized....

Hi Jcclink,

You mean to say that Olympus issued the wrong size oRing with it's PT015 housing? I took it out & it all looks pretty grotty! Good thing it's now a backup for my Ikelite, but it sounds like some replacement orings are in order.

I was following the thread from RickG on DD yesterday....I'll see if anyone has spare still...Tahnkjs

The small o-ring OD should be larger than the outer shaft bore ID to provide a slight interference fit (just a few thousandths). RickG measured all the diameters & discovered that its OD is actually smaller than the shaft bore ID. This condition does not meet standard o-ring design standards.

lanwu:
The advice that i've been using is to clean the oRing metal parts that collect salt deposits over time with a water/vinegar mixture, which works great.

I was wondering though, would the water vinegar mixture harm orings?

Main reasong htat i'm asking is I have a part that is very small part....the Mode Dial pin plus oring for PT-015. It's very salty (bad design by Olympus here)...with an oring which i'm reluctant to remove coz it's such a small oring - in fear that I'll wreck the oring by moving it.

ANy comments anyone?
I think that is the O-ring would be damaged upon removal, it may be time for its replacement anyway. For Olympus models, black o-rings are most effective with silicone based lubricants. The Vinegar can and will breakdown the silicone imbedded in the ring. I advise if you do soak w/ vinegar, you find replacement O-rings at SubAquatic Camera Repair Company, Salinas Ca.

Back
Top Bottom