Cleaning old Jet Fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last night I rescued some old Jet Fins from the LDS used gear rack. My son has wanted to try these for a while so figured what the heck. I was trying to clean them up and used every cleaner I have in the house and not one of them made much difference. They have a kinda scale on them. White in some places and red in others. They look like they should clean up but... Has anyone used Tire Cleaner on them? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

John

I've got 2 pair of USD Rocket Fins that I've had now since the mid/late 70's. With the exception of the heel straps and a few "scratches" they look as good as new. All I've ever done is rinse them throroughly in fresh water and then spray them with silicon before packing them away. I generally use a rag to smooth out the silicon on the surface of the fins. I've also learned to release the tension on the heel straps when I put them away. That will extend their life significantly.

'Slogger

Tire cleaner may work well, but i would remove the straps before you do that if you are using the rubber straps. I treat mine with food grade silicone spray. Why worry about cleanin' them if its that hard, just dive em.

when i found one lying around i just used a little wire brush on them and it came right off. or just get a light scrub pad and use that.

Back
Top Bottom