Cleaning a Sea Vision mask's lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugwhump

Contributor
Reaction score
SE Florida, the flattest part, I can see Mount Pom
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello;

I have a prescription CLEAR LENSED mask by Sea Vision.
I ordinarily dive with my mask that has the red lenses in the daytime (LOVE IT) and use the clear lensed mask for night dives. The one with clear lenses fogged up last weekend, even after applying my regular defog. Sea Gold brand.
I tried the spit thing, and I am good at that procedure, and it still kept fogging up on me. It was the first night dive of the year for me, and I am thinking I need to hit it with old fashioned Crest white toothpaste or something.

My assumption is after a year and a half of storage, the silicone has degraded or gassed off of the skirt and has placed a fine coating of crud on the lenses.

I know that you SHOULD NOT TOUCH SEA VISION RED OR YELLOW LENSES with toothpaste.

Will it hurt the clear lensed mask to do this?

I have some Sea Buff around here also, but cannot seem to find it at the moment.

Is is safe to use regular white toothypaste on a clear lensed Sea Vision mask?

Regards,
Chug

if its a prescription lens do NOT use anything abrasive. no toothpaste no sea buff. rub on some dish detergent let it sit on the lenses for alittle while and then rinse completely. if it still fogs up try 50/50 white vinegar and water. and rinse out completely...

BAD STUFF!!!
DO NOT DO IT!

I had a friend destroy a brand new one with good old white crest/colgate/pepsodent.

See instructions above for all Sea Vision masks.

Chug

(Dives with red lenses to keep the laser beams that shoot from his eyes when seeing lionfish under control.)

Well I've done it once but didn't notice anything different about the mask. Haven't done it again though. Just was curious as to what actually happens. I only cleaned the inside of the mask though. Not the outside.

Endless fogging in a nutshell.
Cloudy vision due to abrasion to the lenses.
These masks do not have normal glass/plastic/poly whatever.

SeaVision will weigh in on Monday I expect with specifics.

Chug

Chug is right NO toothpaste..softscrub...sea buff..etc It will scratch our RX lenses or the red or yellow filtered lenses. made of same material as most eyeglass lenses. Plus those lenses are installed way after the silicon from the skirts have off gassed.

I love Sea Vision!

Chug
Likes Sea Vision....

The only thing we clean our Sea Visions' with are the Sea Vision drops. We (my wife and I) have too much invested in the vision-correcting lenses to try anything else. I'm not sure I'd even trust my own spit on mine.

Cheers!

Got it. Yea I did it once, but as I said I haven't noticed a loss in performance. Then I realized I wasn't supposed to use toothpaste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom