Clean label residue from mask lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just purchased an Atomic frameless mask. There was a plastic static-stick warning label on the outside of one of the lenses. After cleaning the mask with toothpaste 5 or 6 times, the edge of the rectangle where the label was attached is still visible. When I run my fingernail along the area I can feel an indentation, but can't see it.

Any idea how to remove it without damaging the lens?

Thanks.

Carbonize it with a lighter flame (carefully to not burn the silicone) then rub with toothpaste until smooth.

Dishwashing liquid. Squirt a little on, rub it in,leave it for a minute or two and use hot water (not boiling but good and warm). Rub your finger over it, rinse.

It's how we take the stickies off ours and works a treat.

My understanding is that the lenses are glasses, and solvents wouldn't hurt it. But it might hurt the bicarbonate frame or the silicone skirts.

I would carefully use a little WD-40, or some GOOoff. Or your wife's fingernail polish remover. Rub a small amount on the label, and remove it with your fingernail. If the gum is still left, apply a little more solvent, and again, use your fingernail to scrape it off. Or you can use the edge of a plastic putty knife, or the edge of a plastic disposable spoon.

Try some WD-40 first that will melt the label residue then the dish soap and I use a sonic tooth brush and non-abrasive tooth paste!

I just had to remove some old sticker glue from an Equivalent Air Depth table. I tried dish soap, toothpaste, nothing worked. Then I remembered the old gum in the hair trick, and tried some peanut butter. Worked like a charm.

Yes it will, it has peanut oil in it and acts lick the WD-40! The WD also has solvents that help! It works great for new windows and car stickers as well!

Thanks for the replies.

I already tried the toothbrush, dishwashing detergent, and soft scrub to no avail.

I'll give the goof-off/WD-40 a try. I'll save the burning as a last resort, the mask is pretty expensive and I don't want to accidently burn the skirt.

I'm not sure it's residue from the sticker, since the sticker didn't have any adhesive. It was just a plastic sticker held on by static, like you get when you change the oil in your car.

I

Does'nt sound like an adhesive. You say you feel an indentation. Sounds more like a chip or scratch in the mask. If you cant see it what is your concern? If it bothers you why not just return it to your shop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom