Claustrophobia question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aeryn

New
Reaction score
Hiya...

I'm a new diver (certified 2 years, manage to do atleast 1 dive every 6 months or so.) I'm wondering if anyone ever gets clausterphobic when diving. I noticed it when I was taking my certification class in Aruba and we were doing our pool work. I just couldn't sit underwater without feeling panicky. Now, when we hit the ocean, I had no problems what so ever. So, the only thing I can attribute this to is a claustrophobia type reaction. It reoccurred last month when I had the opportunity to do Epcot's 'DiveQuest', we descended the rope and once on the bottom, I experienced the same reaction. This time I was able to control it by taking a few minutes to just concentrate on breathing slow and regular and I mentally relaxed and was able to thoroughly enjoy the experience. Oddly, I'm not the least bit claustrophobic on land. Tower of Terror ride at Disney-MGM, no problem. Running cable thru small tunnels, no problem. Not sure exactly *why* I feel this way when underwater in an enclosed space...

Mainly, I'm just wondering if I'm crazy or if anyone else has experienced this type of reaction.

Aeryn,
Hi, and welcome to the boards.
Regarding your question: while not a doctor, IMO, I think your reaction may not quite be "typical"claustrophobia-or you would probably experience it on land as well ( in the small tunnels, or on the "Tower of Terror"-which I'd never go on :) ). That said, the reaction was strong enough to be of concern, and to warrant a post, so here are some thoughts:
First: BRAVO on how you handled things at "Dive Quest" .
You were calm, got things under control, and carried on with a ( hopefully) fun dive. [I've done that dive, and it certainly was unique].

Second: In your post,you mentioned having this reaction twice. Were those the only times you have experienced that reaction? [I realize that you have indicated not having logged a lot of dives.] Have you been in low vis situations, "swim throughs", caverns, or been between closely spaced coral formations, etc. ?
If so, and if you did not feel the reaction in question, then,IMHO, I might suggest again that your reaction was "ordinary" anxiety, rather than claustrophobia. If that is the case, then most divers I know have experienced that reaction in some form, at some level of intensity-more frequently when doing something different on a dive: new equip., new location, first time doing ________ etc.
Hopefully, that is the case,and as I said earlier, you seem to have aquired a very important skill: how to cope with that relatively common reaction.

Third: A suggestion: If possible ,can you get to a pool with some dive gear- (maybe just mask and snorkel): a backyard pool, or at the LDS (full gear??),and see if you have the same reaction.
Perhaps it was "newness" and not "closed-in-ness" (?) that prompted your reaction. If it does occur, you can practice your self-discovered technique for addressing and coping with it.

Finally: The fact that you handled the situation so well, and that you thought to post your question "on the boards "tells me that you are well on your way to becoming an accomplished, thinking, aware diver.
Hope this was of some help,
Good luck,
Mike

but it is well worth it. I do have some claustrophibia problems above water, but not extreme. It sounds like you don't have the same problem, but perhaps partially because yours hits when you are in a more enclosed place (you mentioned the pool).

Every dive, as I descend, I get a familiar sense of anxiety overcome me as the water closes over my head. It is intensified in the dark, cool waters of California where often dives are "night time" conditions even in the day due to kelp. I've learned to slow down, breathe, relax, and focus on the treasures awaiting me under the waves.

I can't explore caves -- just sticking my head in one starts my heart racing and a few quick, short breaths ... I back out, slow down and count while breathing slowly. I can explore wrecks that are open or around the outside. Swim-throughs, even though the light is there, get to me as well.

However, all that being said, after only four years of diving (I have my AOW), I went very slowly and dove Cathedrals in Lanai -- and I was very pleased that I didn't suck all my air. There was another swim through that I realized I just wasn't ready for, so I went over the top and met my buddy on the other side. Nice part is, my buddy knows of my problem (he's also my husband) and he is very supportive and not pushing me to do things beyond my comfort level.

That's the key: don't go beyond your comfort level. As time goes by, and you do more dives in different locales you become comfortable and look forward to all the ocean can show you. I still get a little anxious when I start my descent, but I've learned to reinforce the positive feelings I get from diving, and all has gone well. Fortunately for me, I also had an incredibly patient instructor who took the time to get me "under" to see what I was missing -- and then my own will made me learn to cope with the feelings because I wanted to be under the sea.

Margaret

Hey, know what you mean. I had similar experience when I was learning. I felt closed in in the pool but loved being out in the ocean with the sense of space. I'm not claustrophobic on land to any extent but I do like big spaces and a feeling or airiness. The thought of cave diving or poor vis diving doesn't appeal to me because I like clear, bright water and being able to see all around me. I don't like flying at night or in fog (bizarre, I know) either.

I'm glad you posted cos I was wondering if I was weird. The only near panic I've experienced so far was in 3 feet of water in the pool going under for the first time!

As others have said, main thing is that you handled the situation and you know you can do it in future if the need arises. But I'd keep away from the caves meantime!

I have only been clausterphobic once under water. I had a schedualed dive the day after someone I knew died diving. I felt like the water was pressing in on my, especially my face. It only happened that one time.

I did notice during another dive I felt anxious. After examining things I realized I was slightly negatively bouyant, and was finning to keep myself at a constant depth. A little air in my bc made a great deal of difference in my mental state.

Doesn't Epcot make you use thier gear? That could make alot of difference, especially if the trim is different with the bc. I recently dove with my old front inflation style bc (for the first time in two years) and felt pretty uncomfortable with it, even though I loved it when it was my only bc.

I agree with Miked: it sounds like you handled it great.

-Katrina

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice. I haven't been diving for very long but I'm hooked. It's such an incredible world under the waves.

As for Epcot, yes, I had to use all of their eq, but since I don't own any of my own eq yet, it wasn't a major issue. I'm just about ready to start with purchasing my own stuff, wanted to make sure I really wanted to do this more often before I started investing real money into it :)

I've not done any cave diving, but I don't think I'll be doing any of that soon. I'm going to see about trying to do some practice in a pool tho...

Thanks again for all the help :) I really appreciate it.

As part of the pool training, divers here are expected to perform an exercise of being led underwater wearing a blacked out mask for 50 meters, and also without a mask. This is supposed to help condition a diver to zero viz conditions and the effects of losing a mask. Our training manual says it will stimulate claustrophobia in those who are susceptable. To a certain extent I think we are all susceptable and in zero vis and underwater in the dark I realise my breathing rate increases.
Learning to relax in the water takes some time, I think it took me about 2 years before I could take off a full 8lb from my intial weight belt and no doubt its better to slowly develop your confidence and ability in shallow water and do a lot more practice in the the pool if you're apprehensive about anything. If fear of confinement and the dark really upsets a person, they probably should not dive at all. Admittedly I dive in an area where near zero vis at some part of a dive is often a regular occurance and loss of a mask is always a potential hazard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom