Classic Transpac + Travel Exp Wing to Sidemount Conversion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamchooi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am currently using a classic transpac(2009) + travel Exp wing for a single tank setup. Usually dive in warm tropical open water with 80alu tank, rashguard and carrying only 2-4lbs of weight.

As of recent, I'm interested in converting my current setup to sidemount so I may take the course and dive SM from then henceforth.
Based on my understanding after some reading I have a few questions in mind :-

1. Will my travel exp wing be sufficient to carry me(145lbs) + 2 sidemount 80alu tanks? Do I need to get a new wing for sidemount(Nomad XT) ?

2. Do I need extra D rings on the shoulder straps to hold the tanks?

3. May I use the current 2 backmount tank straps at the back as the tank rigging for sidemount setup?

4. What is the use of Buttplate and is it necessary to have for sidemount?

5. What is the most cost effective ways to convert my current setup to a SM setup? Or buy a new bcd(Nomad LT) ?

Thanks in advance for the reply and looking forward to hear from you guys soon.

1. yes but it won't be compatible with sidemount. You will have to get the nomad wing.

2. no

3. yes but they have to be removed and modified

4. to clip the tanks to. With AL80's it isn't necessary

5. buy a rig that is actually designed to be used with AL80's. The nomad wing alone is $400, add at least $50 for the required bungees and hardware and you'd be much better off with a new LTZ for $500.

Thanks for the input. Probably more feasible for me to consider getting the Nomad LT or LTZ.

Will take out the cam bands from my transpac to modify it to suit the needs as a stage SM rig. Purchasing Dive Rite Travel Stage tank rigging is also in mind.

I'm new to sidemounting, but I've been a technical diver for 15 years, o/w instructor for 25.
I'm still working with & tuning my SM rig, but I can offer some personal preferences/opinion.

2) I agree with Tbone, extra D-rings not necessary, but they can be helpful.
If you have tanks bolt snaps, tank bungies, back up light, camera housing & 2nd reg clipped off it can get pretty busy.
For technical diving add another two deco tanks.
A second pair of D rings can be handy to clip off your regs. Since reg swaps are required with side-mount diving.
Keeps them clear of everything else. This is nice with dry gloves for the diving I do in cold Great Lakes area.

3) Your cam straps, with added tri-glides can be used to retain the lower tank bolt snap.
These are particularly handy for quick adjustments, while finding the sweet spot in your configuration.
Large stainless hose clamps, with rubber tubes over adjustment screw are lighter and lower profile for air travel.

my 2 cents.

Mike D

Mike, transpac already comes with 3 d-rings on each side
D-ring that connects the bottom to the top of the shoulder straps typically not used for clipping things off to but it's where the chest strap attaches and where I clip my bungees to
D-ring right above that, good for backup lights, the tank neck rings, and the "normal" stuff, extra stage bottles etc.
Top d-rings that are good for clipping regulators and camera etc to.

big advantage to 2" metal cam bands over the worm gears for al80's is they add quite a bit of weight to the butt of the tank which helps it behave a bit better

Perhaps I should update this thread with my current progress.

Over the past 2 months I've acquired the following :-

DR Nomad XT
2x DR Deluxe Travel tank rigging
2x Atomic B2 (SM configured)

I do have some questions in regards to DR products.

1) I've noticed on videos that most Nomad users detach the bungee cord that holds the wing. Is it to prevent air from being trapped in the folded section of the bladder? As I will be starting the course with only 2x 80alu tanks, I do not need the full extension lift of the wing to keep me afloat.

2) Tank rigging with the travel harness seems a little different. Again from videos, the Travel harness is setup in a way that the air output of the tank valves are facing against the diver (first stage Din is pointing towards diver). Is this due to the Ring bungee system that DR uses so the first stage wont be in the way when we clip the tank's neck bolt snaps to the bungee?

Mike, transpac already comes with 3 d-rings on each side
D-ring that connects the bottom to the top of the shoulder straps typically not used for clipping things off to but it's where the chest strap attaches and where I clip my bungees to
D-ring right above that, good for backup lights, the tank neck rings, and the "normal" stuff, extra stage bottles etc.
Top d-rings that are good for clipping regulators and camera etc to.

big advantage to 2" metal cam bands over the worm gears for al80's is they add quite a bit of weight to the butt of the tank which helps it behave a bit better

I find the harness/ sternum strap rings are too tight to my dry suit to be easily accessed with dry gloves ( my primary diving here).
My transpac xt came with just 6 rings 2 on shoulders & 4 on waist.
These 2nd rings are my "normal stuff" clipping rings.
I added another pair of D rings on shoulders, with bent loops that stand up for easy access.
Here's my transpac, with extra D rings on floor before they were added.
It's a few years old, so my reference is dated. I see on the Dive Rite web site the new XT has the extra D rings you are referring to, so guess I've updated my older model to latest version.
I agree with your cam straps comment, I've added a couple of pounds to the bottom of an 80 aluminum deco bottle to keep it negative.
re- hose clamps :Air travel baggage limits are a pain & it's tough to stay within the 20kg (44 lbs) sports equipment bag limit.

Transpac_IMG_1935.jpg

Mike D

Last edited:
My wing has the shock cord running through it to keep it tucked in, I find this necessary especially with small tanks. Yes it restricts lift, treat it as such. The wing does not have the full quoted lift in its normal configuration in the Nomad without the bungee so I treat my wing as about 30lbs which is pretty close to what it actually generates. It is there to prevent the wing from taco'ing around the transpac when it is inflated.

With ring bungees the tanks are suspended from the rings and the first stages have to be out. I don't like this, I think it is dumb, so I don't use it. I do however use a modified ring system.
Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Old School Kit for Nomad - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Best $40 you'll spend for the Nomad. It's required imho, and worth every penny.
What I did was take that system and because I wanted to and I like it, I put the ring inside the loop. This is similar to what DR is doing now and allows you to use stage rigging if you want, but leave the loop long enough to hook around the valve similar to the way Steve Martin demonstrates on his website with the Xdeep Stealth. This is really good with AL80's.

For AL80's, I also recommend getting something like these
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=31
That go on the waist strap underneath the wing to allow a lower attachment point for the AL80's when they get empty. The Nomad is really a horrid rig for diving AL80's because it was designed for heavy steel tanks. It can be made to work with AL80's, but it's far from ideal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom