Classic Plus too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether or not the SP Classic Plus is too much BC for someone who does 20 tropical dives (3mm shorty) and 10 cold water dives (7mm suit) a year(roughly).

All my dives are within rec limits, so i wont be using it for tech diving

My question is....do you guys think this BC is too much BC for this type of diving? Would i be better off going with the classic sport or some other lighter BC?

I like the idea of no adjustable shoulder straps and one continuous wrap around air cell, thats why i am considering this BC.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sorry....

What I meant was, do I really need all that lift? I hear the classic has 60Lbs of max lift? Also, I travel alot so i need a lightweight BC for tropical diving wich can also be used for cold water lake diving (ie: more wieghts, more gadgets etc..), would the classic sport be ok for that too?

What is the difference between the classic sport and the classic plus other than its a little smaller and has less lift? Or is that the only difference? Looks like the classic plus might have extra pockets and different weight release buckle?

Thanks alot

Classic Plus: Integrated weights, trim pockets etc.

Classic sport: just the basics.

Some BC's that pack small: Zeagle Escape, Dive Rite Transpac II with travel wing. But, these are very different from the classic plus.

It is not the lift capacity that takes up space in your suitcase with the Classic series. It is the plastic backpack that is built into most Scubapro BC's. That said, the Classic sport would pack a bit smaller because it does not have the integrated weight system.

Trying to minimize lift capacity to do the job is more of a game with back inflation or wing type BC's. Larger wings tend to taco around the tank, trap air and cause a lot of drag. Due to its inherent design this is less of a problem with the Classic.

The Sport is streamlined. It leaves off the things you don't need that add drag - cummerbund and back padding. It also does not have weight integration <shudder>, so it's not a PITA. Simple and well made.

The Scubapro Classic Plus is a great BC for recreational fish petting. I did about 30 dives or so in one last year.

However, IMHO, a flaw of the BC is it's lack of a buckled shoulder strap that prevents getting out of the thing with ease. It's not a huge problem on the surface, and may not be a problem at all for someone very limber and with good range of motion in their shoulders, but if you find yourself in an emergency where you need to doff your BC (e.g., trapped under a ledge, under part of a wreck), it is the hardest BC to doff that I have personally dived.

Just food for thought. When you try it on, ask yourself if you would easily and quickly take it off in an underwater emergency.

Scott

I've never dived a Scubapro Classic Plus, but I dive a Sport all the time. It also does not have a buckled shoulder strap. I can doff it faster than I can reach for a buckled shoulder strap. A buckled shoulder strap is one more failure point I can do without.

C'mon, Walter. Are you trying to say that a buckled shoulder strap is more dangerous? Yes, the ever-present life threatening failure point of the shoulder buckle coming unlatched. Those buckles are pretty well designed and should not come off, but if it did, you could simply snap it back on.

Look, all I'm saying is that I found it to be the hardest BC to get out of, and I've dived in a lot of BCs. If it's easy for you, or the person asking the original question, than great. We're all different physically. But please don't try to make the Classic Plus sound safer because it doesn't have the "potential failure point" of a shoulder buckle.

There are some guys with range of motion problems that use a back plate, but put a buckle on one shoulder to help with donning and doffing. It's no secret that the buckle makes doffing the back plate, or any bc, easier. Why do you think the vast majority of BC manufacturer's use that system? Personally, for whatever reason, I have no problem doffing my BP, but that Scubapro I sure did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom