Class Report: UTD Wreck 1, October 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto. My unique ability to get lost two blocks from home has pretty much led to my better half forbidding me from entertaining overhead environments. But I'm happy to be able to live vicariously through these great reports :)

Yah, sorry. That's the terminology I've been using for years.

Top down view of a tie point (this may be even more confusing... heh):

Hehe ya that's it. A little slack in the line coming in from the primary is good, esp. of a big station. Or going off at a bit of an angle (in your pic) to the lower left. Otherwise your line is rubbing on the side of the station anyway/still.

Never knew that was a "choke." Although its sounds fine, I have no name for that loop.

"Correct way: double wrap, choke back against itself.
What I did: double wrap, choke back against itself, wrap again."

Interesting read, thanks for providing it.

The instructors comments remind me of my trainiers in the Navy- "Take your dam skirts off ladies, time to man up!" I can look back and smile now :D but then it was awe sh>> we're screwed.:(

Where can I read more up on this tie? or is there a pic/youtube of it?

Thanks.

Where can I read more up on this tie?

The "right" answer: sign up for UTD Overhead Protocols (you'll get access to the training videos) or some other class that involves running line such as Cavern, Intro to Cave, or GUE Cave 1.

The "wrong" answer: It's in the old 5thdx training videos, many of which were ripped to youtube. I can try to make a video of it when I get home if you can't find anything online.

So there were no silt-outs; light-failures; valve shutdowns; gas-sharing etc. contingencies practice inside the wreck? (The Yukon passageways are too tight for AG to safely monitor those type of drills). . .

Where can I read more up on this tie? or is there a pic/youtube of it?

Or in a Cavern class. Its the "standard" secondary tie which has been used for decades.

You can't really learn line-work over the internet as Blackwood and my language difficulties amply illustrate.

So there were no silt-outs; light-failures; valve shutdowns; gas-sharing etc. contingencies practice inside the wreck? (The Yukon passageways are too tight for AG to safely monitor those type of drills). . .

That's done in overhead protocols, the prerequisite course. And in OW.

Naw. We'd spent enough time with black tape over our masks in the previous months :p
As long as you don't totally ef up, he leaves you alone. Meaning if one of us goes left while another goes right, you can bet there'll be one form of gas failure or another.

That's done in overhead protocols, the prerequisite course. And in OW.
Yes I know . . .those are simulated contingencies that we did in Open Water in AG's inaugural Wreck Class back in '05. I'm asking Marc if AG attempted to do these drills inside the Yukon this time (but it sounds like he refrained because of the tight spaces & surge).

The only place were I did contingency drills inside a wreck was in the Philippines (Subic Bay); and that was in the widebody fuselage of a sunken DC-10 (where the instructor was literally pouring silt on top of us), and a lights-out gas share egress over the entire length of the bridge to cargo hold structure of a transport ship wreck (El Capitan).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom