clark hill/lake thurmond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We generally do a couple of dives Sat. morning and a couple of more Sunday afternoon. We often get in a dive during the week. I have a set rule though, I don't dive any day that doesn't end in a "y".:D
Being 3 hours away, Sunday afternoons might be a good start.

Just send me a PM when you are interested in coming and I let you know our schedule and current conditions. We generally have two periods of low vis - one in the spring and one in the late fall (last year happened the 2nd - 4 th week of October) as the temps drop, thermoclines blend, etc. We will be getting to the 7mm suit, hood and gloves weather shortly.[/QUOTE]

That's the best weather. There's a hole lot less people in the water. Whats the water get down to in the winter? Does the water clear up in the winter? Whats the water temp at depth right now?

Sounds great...I may try to get one or two others from this area that would be interested and make it a long day trip for us. I agree, Sunday afternoon sounds like a good start. I'll send you a PM when we can get up there. Thanks

Mark

We generally do a couple of dives Sat. morning and a couple of more Sunday afternoon. We often get in a dive during the week. I have a set rule though, I don't dive any day that doesn't end in a "y".:D

Just send me a PM when you are interested in coming and I let you know our schedule and current conditions. We generally have two periods of low vis - one in the spring and one in the late fall (last year happened the 2nd - 4 th week of October) as the temps drop, thermoclines blend, etc. We will be getting to the 7mm suit, hood and gloves weather shortly.[/QUOTE]

That's the best weather. There's a hole lot less people in the water. Whats the water get down to in the winter? Does the water clear up in the winter? Whats the water temp at depth right now?

Hey, don't tell anyone, but there is rarely a crowd at our dive spot. Only time ther are more than 6 divers in the water is when (on rare occasion) a local dive shop does a class (and they tend to stay at the plane). Winter water temps last year only got down to about 47, but I have seen 41. Vis is good in the winter (after the lake "turns over" as they say). The best time seems to be Aug and Sept for the 20'+ stuff at depth though there are often thermoclines with decreased vis shallower. Winter 15' top to bottom is not uncommon. Current temps are 78 on the surface and 62 @ 98' (as of Tuesday night).

Just send me a PM when you are interested in coming and I let you know our schedule and current conditions. We generally have two periods of low vis - one in the spring and one in the late fall (last year happened the 2nd - 4 th week of October) as the temps drop, thermoclines blend, etc. We will be getting to the 7mm suit, hood and gloves weather shortly.

I can dive most Friday afternoons if you want to get a weekday dive in.
:monkeydan

Two dives this a.m. in AL 80s (100's being serviced). Dive 1 : 118' for 52 min, Dive two:87' for 58 min. Vis has dropped at bit - not sure if the lake flip is beginning or just then lower light levels.
We couldn't even see the lake from the parking lot as we began our first dive due to the fog. We dropped down past the 3 big rocks to the log on the 80' wall and headed straight down (west) to 118'. Vis was great at depth 20'+. Our return up to and along the 80' wall found vis of 10'. We headed up to the 65' wall, through the trench and angel statue, to the 40' ledge and then upward to the 20' dropoff for a swim to the dam.
Second dive was to the 3 big rocks, to the missle, the entire 80' wall, the forest, then down to the top of the 100' wall, south the the north wall and big stump. then along the 55' wall to the trench and upward past the angel statue to the 40' wall and upward to the 20' dropoff. Nice dives...

Nice report! Do you think the lake is flipping? When it does how bad will the vis become?

Nice report! Do you think the lake is flipping? When it does how bad will the vis become?

Alas, I believe it is flipping. Thought that it might as a post on Lake Lanier last week spoke of 4' vis. We usually run a week or so behind them. Today we had 4' on the 100' wall and not much better on the 80' wall. There were still spots of 10' vis, but I do believe the lake is doing the fall flip.... Not all bad though, 'cause it means the great winter vis 15'+ is on the way:D - just takes 2, maybe 3 weeks to clear.

Back
Top Bottom