clark hill/lake thurmond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
we are diving east dam sat at 8am (dive 1 - deep 100') and approx. 10 am (dive 2 - 80') and Sunday at 1pm for two dives. PM me if interested in joining us!

We had two great days of diving this weekend. The vis has been great 20'+ at depth - worst in the thermocline was maybe 9', probably 15' above 20'. Water temps are still warm - 63 @99' 79 degrees at surface.
Sat. Dive 1. 1:07 @98'
Dive 2. 1:05 @78'
Sun. Dive 1 1:06 @99'
Dive 2 1:03 @ 75'

Saturday our group of 4 began with a stoll along the beach to save air for the deep portion of our dive (not normally a beach here, but with the lake 8+' down...) until even with the cell tower. Then a short swim out. We dropped into 30' of water, then swam downward to the angel statue at 46' today, through the trench and down to the 100' wall in a north direction. We have been expanding our swims down this wall/ledge/series of stumps. It is an interesting dive. Due to our gradual descent allowing time for our eyes to adjust, we really didn't need lights on the 100' wall (like a stroll on a full moon lit night). In addition to the wall, there are a number of large stumps with most of their root systems exposed, snaking down the ledge. Approaching a few minutes fro deco we made our turn and swam SSE to the North wall, then heading S. past the big stump and along the 55' ledge (at 47' today). We dropped back down to 62' and went through the forest, past the trench and then dropped down to 72' for a swim along the 80' wall (these lower lake levels...). At the end of the wall we headed upward to the 3 big rocks at 54' and then headed to the plane. As we arrived at the palne we were fortunate enough to run into a huge school of shad - thousands of fish swimming in unison. Nice stripers and crappie on the plane. From the plane we did our extended safety stops along the rocks of the dam.
Dive two began with the 40' ledge (finally vis is improving on the ledge (about 10' today), down to the angel statue, trench, and then heading down to the 80' wall to the missle. Using a lift bag, we re-situated the large concrete block and line from 50' to the missle to it's original position (a few weeks back an anchor or something drug the block and all the line to a mess near the missle). We finished off the dive with a swim to the plane, ski boat and extended safety stops along the rocks of the dam.

Oh, I hear a steak with my name on it name on it calling.... I'll post Sunday's dives later.

Sunday's dives:
OK, got the steak out of the way,

Forgot to mention our neighbors from yesterday and today doing a class: S. Sherman and his Mrs. A former instructor of mined, alleged triathelon participant (his wife alleges the t-shirt came from a garage sale - 'course I'd like to think a former instructor of mine was in the running :D).
Dive one- Well, it was sort'of a repeat of dive one from Sat., 'cept we hit the missle at the end, then cruised up to the 3 big rocks, plane (hit this off the high left wing (kinda cool suddenly ascending upward to the wing no one expects to be there). Then the rocks again for an extended safety stop - whatever it takes to get the pixels on the computer screen back to green :D.
Dive two was a bit different - 3 big rocks, then following the cable (there is a mess of cable from some crane or something in this corner of the dam) downward to the ledge to the south of the trench, then along the ledge to the trench, above and 15' over the trench looking at the junction of the ledge and the trench -love this vis.... Then up over the N. ledge of the trench and down through the dip before the 55' ledge, barely missing the bouy line, and down to the 65' ledge till it ended, then other stuff (stumps and what not) below it , the a south turn along the North wall. Gosh this vis is nice for a lake : 70' down and no light needed, light illuminating the North wall - light and shadows... 55' ledge, squeeze past the bouy line - thought we would get hung on this- hang a right (south) and into the trench, a cruise above the angel statue, past the gnome statue on the 40' ledge (after two dives today with 70 degree air temps hitting the 78 degree thermocline at the gnome felt like hitting a sauna). Upward from the gnome to the 20' drop off and a swim south along the hydrilla (yeah there were three 25" carp at the rocks) for an extended safety stop at the rocks of the dam and headed towards shore. A nice Sunday divin'.

Great report!! One day we will find a sitter and get up there. Being it's only bout 2hr's away.

Is there any place around there to get fill's?

Sounds like some great dives! How often do you go out there? I'm about 3 hours away and I'd like to join you out there sometime.

Mark

Great report!! One day we will find a sitter and get up there. Being it's only bout 2hr's away.

Is there any place around there to get fill's?

yep.

http://www.neptunediveandski.com/

They are our local dive shop and can provide fills (no nitrox though). They are good people, sell good gear, and do host an annual u/w pumpkin carving contest (the local diving info on their website is outdated and a bit limited, but don't let this deter you - not sure why they don't promote local diving more).

In addition to the lake we also have a great river dive:

Savannah River - A nice 1 -1 1/2 hour drift dive from the 5th street marina to the old marina/boathouse downstream. Depths are 21' max. Vis can be great a times 15' -20' during periods of low rain. A lot of history on this dive with a shipwreck (bow, deck planking, boilers and other stuff) just below the first bridge support for the 5th street bridge, the remnants of the old Hamburg docks (cotton docks) that run the length of the dive 1/3 of the way out into the river from the SC side (lots of fish here around the pilings and rocks), and the old Hamburg bridge remains (about 1/2 the way down the GA side). Lots of large rocks on the GA side with logs, trees and other stuff for fish. The river gets to about 72 degrees in the summer.

Our local diving is best enjoyed in 5-7mm wetsuit and a hood. However, you can enjoy the river in a 3mm w/o a hood in the summer. You can dive the plane at the lake in just a 3mm in the summer, but you are missing the more interesting deeper diving if not dressed for the occasion.

yep.

http://www.neptunediveandski.com/

They are our local dive shop and can provide fills (no nitrox though). They are good people, sell good gear, and do host an annual u/w pumpkin carving contest (the local diving info on their website is outdated and a bit limited, but don't let this deter you - not sure why they don't promote local diving more). .

Is the air O2 clean? Will I have to have my tanks recleaned after I get an air fill there?

You would think that they would use the lake as much as they could. That lake would make a great trainning site. So what Its a lil cool. Its not that bad. If I had that lake here I would be in it 4 or 5 times a week.

Anybody dive it during the week?

Is the air O2 clean? Will I have to have my tanks recleaned after I get an air fill there?

Yep, it is o2 clean. He has planned to add nitrox at some point.

You would think that they would use the lake as much as they could. That lake would make a great trainning site. So what Its a lil cool. Its not that bad. If I had that lake here I would be in it 4 or 5 times a week.

They do use it (meaning mostly the plane and ski boat as this provides non-silty areas for skills) for OW classes occasionally, but take most folks to Ginnie Springs. I'm in the lake regularly: 15min for me to the lake, 20 min to the river.

Anybody dive it during the week?

Yep, we often do a late afternoon or evening dive during the week, a few folks dive it on Fridays when they are off work, and then sat. and Sun. I would recommend diving with folks who know where stuff is at the first time or two. We generally dive Sat. mornings and Sun. afternoons year round. You are welcome to join our group. Just PM.

I would recommend diving with folks who know where stuff is at the first time or two. We generally dive Sat. mornings and Sun. afternoons year round. You are welcome to join our group. Just PM.

Thats what I was thinking. It's easier for me during the week but the weekend might be posible. I'll PM when I get a chance.

I have the first 2 wk's of Oct. off so we'll see if I come that way or head back to Cave country. It depends on how the cash is. If we can find a sitter I'll bring the wife as well.

Thank's
Jaime

Sounds like some great dives! How often do you go out there? I'm about 3 hours away and I'd like to join you out there sometime.

Mark

We generally do a couple of dives Sat. morning and a couple of more Sunday afternoon. We often get in a dive during the week. I have a set rule though, I don't dive any day that doesn't end in a "y".:D
Being 3 hours away, Sunday afternoons might be a good start.

Just send me a PM when you are interested in coming and I let you know our schedule and current conditions. We generally have two periods of low vis - one in the spring and one in the late fall (last year happened the 2nd - 4 th week of October) as the temps drop, thermoclines blend, etc. We will be getting to the 7mm suit, hood and gloves weather shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom