Clark Hill/Lake Thurmond, Augusta, Ga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Most excellent diving today! I took a day off of work and Dave and I made a dive at E. Dam, Clark Hill this morning. Water temp was 71 degrees surface, 56 @100'. Due to other commitments for the day we could only do one dive :( , but what a dive it was:D . We dove to 105' for 1:08. Vis was a good 10'. I was able to dive the 100' wall with minimal light use and no lights above that. Hey, the fishes are back. Shellcrackers and bluegills have returned. We began our dive with a descent to the 3 big rocks @ 54', swam past the pool filters at 45', and onward to the new Budda on the 40' ledge. We swam the 40' ledge past the gnome and down to the angel statue. From there we entered the trench and swam out into the forest at 70'. We dropped down to the 100' wall and made our turn to the south. The 80' wall was very clear today, probably 10-15' or so. No lights needed. We swam to the missle at 81' today and then upward toward the plane after completing a deep stop. We had about 10' or so of vis on the plane. We followed the buoyancy course rope off the plane (nice new flock of flamingo). We cleaned off the ski boat @30' and then returned to the plane. We then ascended to 20'. This is where the dive got very interesting. The first thing I saw was a large hybrid bass - a big guy. He was moving back and forth rather quickly. I soon saw his targets. A huge, read VERY HUGE (many 1000s), school of shad. We spent at least 15 mins (nice safety stop) swimming amongst the shad. They part when you exhale, but then close back in between exhalations. This school started at 18' and went to the surface. They encompassed much of the corner of the Dam. We swam through them the entire way back to shore. I saw three other large hybrids on the way back in looking for lunch. We are planning three dives tomorrow and probably some Sunday as well.

Back
Top Bottom